Keeping the Fermenter warm enough...

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Second Home

Keeping the Fermenter warm enough...

Post by Second Home »

Usually we put our carboys in a chest freezer with temp control to keep from the fermentation temps getting to high. Lately it's been so cold that we are having the reverse problem and I wanted to see what everyone else is doing to keep your beer from getting to cold during fermentation.
Thanks!
Brandon
To good Friends, Good Times, and Good Brew!
SamIam

Re: Keeping the Fermenter warm enough...

Post by SamIam »

When I was fermenting in a chamber I would just use a 60w light bulb during the winter months.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"
~Frank Sinatra
indianajns

Post by indianajns »

I built a BrewPi which connects to a small portale space heater. Rarely does it ever kick on heat. However, my past 2 beers have needed the heat multiple times during the latter stages of fermentation to maintain my target temp.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Reptile heaters work good too. There are ceramic ones that are shaped like a flood light that can go into a standard light socket and there are panel and pad ones that can mount on the wall or wrap your vessel.
Second Home

Post by Second Home »

AWESOME!!! :cheers:
To good Friends, Good Times, and Good Brew!
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

Found same issue last winter with cold weather
Decided to purchase a new 1 gallon paint can at store
Added a ceramic light socket to inside of lid and made about 2 dozen 1/2" holes on sides of can
Plugged light into temp controller and set to heat cycle
Since sankes are used for fermentation, light was not an issue
If you are using glass or plastic, the paint can route will significantly reduce any light that may shine on your liquid gold
Be advised the 100 watt light does create heat and can melt sides of refrigerator
2-3 sheets of aluminum foil layered and taped to sides will prevent this from happening
:cheers:
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

SamIam wrote:When I was fermenting in a chamber I would just use a 60w light bulb during the winter months.
Bearing in mind that as I don't know what OP is fermenting in, you absolutely *DON'T* want to do this unless you're fermenting in an opaque material. Light skunks beer, so if you're fermenting in glass or a Better Bottle, I wouldn't do this. Even if you're in a translucent bucket, it might be iffy.

Since I ferment in a SS keg, I actually do the same thing.

If you're in something that will let light through, look into an aquarium-style heater "bulb" for reptile owners. It's a ceramic heater that goes into a standard light socket, but only produces heat, not light. Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Floureon-Ceramic- ... 00RMYKUDO/
Brad
Justin H
Club President

Post by Justin H »

I use this, and wrap the carboy in bubble wrap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064O ... 1_4&sr=8-4
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I just use an electric blanket. I kinda of wrap it around the carboy or bucket loosely.

Before I had a temp controller, I just set it to a low setting and checked it every morning & evening. Now that I have a controller, it only turns on the blanket when it drops toward the lower end of the ale temps.

Good luck!
--LexusChris

p.s. and to think that the rest of country has to deal with really cold temps a lot longer than we do!
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields