Brett B Bottling aging

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

DarthCitra

Brett B Bottling aging

Post by DarthCitra »

I bottled up my 100% brett IPA two weeks ago, tried a bottle and the carb is just about right and the funk is awesome.
I have read some horror stories regarding brett causing bottle bombs and im wondering if anyone has any light to shed on this. I bottled at 1.010. Porch bombs are ok, bottle bombs are not! :lolno:
Greywolf

Re: Brett B Bottling aging

Post by Greywolf »

how long had the beer been at 1.010 before you bottled? Had it been stable and unchanged for a while... 4 weeks... 8 weeks? What was your grist bill? Did you mash at a higher temp? There are a lot of factors that go into how much is left over and fermentable for brett. Did you add any yeast at bottling or just use what was left over from fermentation? Brett can continue to ferment for a year or two, depending on their health going into it and how much they have to chew on. In 6 months, you will probably have more CO2 than you do now, but not so much that it would cause anything to explode, especially if you are storing at cellar temp.
I have heard that since brett is such a oxygen sink, oxidation of hop compounds is limited or eliminated, extending the life of your hope aromatics, curious to see what you experience.
GreyWolf27
DarthCitra

Post by DarthCitra »

Here is my novice brew log https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/funkin-hops

My FG was unchanged for about a week at 1.010 and that was right where i was expecting to be. I didnt use any yeast at bottling figured the brett could do the job. I didnt go for much hop aroma i wanted that brett funk on the nose. It came out just how i wanted just a little nervous over storing it. :thumbup:
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

I guess the next question will be... how long will you have this beer in storage? If you don't expect to have any left in 6 months... I wouldn't worry about it, maybe crack one open each month to check to see how the carbonation is going and if you get a gusher, I'd say it's time to have a party and drink em :wink:
GreyWolf27
DarthCitra

Post by DarthCitra »

I try to keep a couple bottles with each brew as long as i can so i can note how they age. Thanks for the info it helped ease my mind :cheers: