gravity question

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

kevinham

gravity question

Post by kevinham »

Forgive any stupid questions in here, keep in mind this is my third batch.

So, we dry hopped the Black IPA this weekend. I took a sample for the gravity, then added the hops while the sample in the fridge cooling to 60F. Probably should have checked the gravity first because after 2 weeks in primary we were around 1.022, and last night (2 days later) I checked again and it was 1.021. Target FG was 1.016 and target OG was 1.082.

I realized later that since we totally overshot the OG with 1.094 (converting a , there is most likely no way we could get down to 1.016 with the WLP001 yeast we used. It would take about 83% attenuation.

So what do you guys say? Is this too high? Is there anything I can do if we already added 2oz of dry hops?
Kevin
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

If your numbers were right you are sitting at 9.73% ABV and ~75% attenuation. Under ideal conditions you should be able to achieve ~80% attenuation which would put you close to 10 1/2% ABV. The hops shouldn't affect anything. I say let is sit at least another week or so and check again. I don't see why it wouldn't attenuate further.

How did it taste?
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

If you look at apparent attenuation, and you started at 1.094, you've got about 77-78% attenuation. That's (1 - 21/94).

That's pretty healthy attenuation, and I think (especially if you're doing extract + specialty grains) getting higher than that is a difficult thing to do.

I think you're in good shape.
Brad
lars

Post by lars »

Just to chime in... On some extract batches, it can be difficult to get the FG down to where you want it. It has something to do with how the original wort was turned into extract.
Shut up and brew