Cleaning and Passivation

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

grico

Cleaning and Passivation

Post by grico »

Hello all!

I just want to ask what other people are using for cleaning their brew system?

Right now I have a 2 tier setup, and when i am done brewing, I give it a quick rinse down and light scrub with a brush. I then heat up some PBW in the HLT and run it through my pumps, mash, boil kettle, and counter flow chiller.

I have noticed some beer stone starting to form up, and I was wondering if there is something more I can do. I know some breweries use FiveStar Acid Cleaner #5, but most of us cant get that. Is there anything else I should look into?

:happybeer:
Gallons Brewed 2011: 85
Gallons Brewed 2012: 165
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Cleaning and Passivation

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Where is the beer stone forming? If it is in the kettle, a little elbow grease goes a long way. I use a ScotchBrite scrubby and that does wonders when used with a little PBW or Oxygen cleaner. If you wait too long and it starts to build up even more, you will need something stronger like and acid cleaner.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

If the elbw grease doens't work. I can get Acid #5. I'll be stocking 5 Star prducts in abut 3 weeks. Need to make room.
grico

Post by grico »

Ya the elbow grease is just not getting it these days in the boil kettle. I need to get some scorches out from the mashtun when a friend tried to step mash, and forgot for a little too long. :roll:

Sounds good Derrin. I will have to hit you up. I still have that gift card somewhere, from last years christmas party :-P. Stupid moving desks.
grico

Post by grico »

What about kegs, just hot PBW? I built an auto washer for my kegs, but never know if i should do a bit more. The beer always turns out well, so it must be getting a good clean. I just do hot PBW through a 1/2 HP pump up the sanke shaft and out the gas-in. The pump heats up the 7g bucket of water nicely.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

grico wrote:What about kegs, just hot PBW? I built an auto washer for my kegs, but never know if i should do a bit more. The beer always turns out well, so it must be getting a good clean. I just do hot PBW through a 1/2 HP pump up the sanke shaft and out the gas-in. The pump heats up the 7g bucket of water nicely.
I clean my kegs with a pump contraption as well. I just use an oxygen based cleaner and it seems to work fine. I think the agitation caused by the recirculation really helps with the cleaning.

I can't wait to try Acid Cleaner #5 and #6 when Derrin starts to carry them. Very exciting.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
grico

Post by grico »

Ya, that is what i think too. I figured all that swirling of hot PBW should do a pretty good job at cleaning.