Cleaning and Passivation

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Cleaning and Passivation

Postby grico on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:55 am

Hello all!

I just want to ask what other people are using for cleaning their brew system?

Right now I have a 2 tier setup, and when i am done brewing, I give it a quick rinse down and light scrub with a brush. I then heat up some PBW in the HLT and run it through my pumps, mash, boil kettle, and counter flow chiller.

I have noticed some beer stone starting to form up, and I was wondering if there is something more I can do. I know some breweries use FiveStar Acid Cleaner #5, but most of us cant get that. Is there anything else I should look into?

:happybeer:
Gallons Brewed 2011: 85
Gallons Brewed 2012: 165
grico

Re: Cleaning and Passivation

Postby BrewMasterBrad on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Where is the beer stone forming? If it is in the kettle, a little elbow grease goes a long way. I use a ScotchBrite scrubby and that does wonders when used with a little PBW or Oxygen cleaner. If you wait too long and it starts to build up even more, you will need something stronger like and acid cleaner.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near
BrewMasterBrad
Untappd Junkie

Postby backyard brewer on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:02 pm

If the elbw grease doens't work. I can get Acid #5. I'll be stocking 5 Star prducts in abut 3 weeks. Need to make room.
backyard brewer

Postby grico on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:35 pm

Ya the elbow grease is just not getting it these days in the boil kettle. I need to get some scorches out from the mashtun when a friend tried to step mash, and forgot for a little too long. :roll:

Sounds good Derrin. I will have to hit you up. I still have that gift card somewhere, from last years christmas party :-P. Stupid moving desks.
grico

Postby grico on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:37 pm

What about kegs, just hot PBW? I built an auto washer for my kegs, but never know if i should do a bit more. The beer always turns out well, so it must be getting a good clean. I just do hot PBW through a 1/2 HP pump up the sanke shaft and out the gas-in. The pump heats up the 7g bucket of water nicely.
grico

Postby BrewMasterBrad on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:01 am

grico wrote:What about kegs, just hot PBW? I built an auto washer for my kegs, but never know if i should do a bit more. The beer always turns out well, so it must be getting a good clean. I just do hot PBW through a 1/2 HP pump up the sanke shaft and out the gas-in. The pump heats up the 7g bucket of water nicely.

I clean my kegs with a pump contraption as well. I just use an oxygen based cleaner and it seems to work fine. I think the agitation caused by the recirculation really helps with the cleaning.

I can't wait to try Acid Cleaner #5 and #6 when Derrin starts to carry them. Very exciting.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near
BrewMasterBrad
Untappd Junkie

Postby grico on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:03 pm

Ya, that is what i think too. I figured all that swirling of hot PBW should do a pretty good job at cleaning.
grico

Return to Techniques