Chlorine/Chloramine

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Do you treat your water for chlorine/chloramine removal??

Yes, with campden tablets
20%
Yes, by other methods
70%
No
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: Chlorine/Chloramine

Postby brahn on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:21 pm

lexuschris wrote:My water report from Ward's had my 'Chloride' rating at 54 ppm. So, if I filter my water with a hard carbon filter, do I just zero out that field?
[...]
p.s. I've never used Cambden tablets, but am wondering if I should. Bwarbiany, did you like the results?

My suggestion would be to send your filtered water in for an analysis.

If you're using a water filter that removes chlorine/chloramine, I don't see any reason to use Campden although it won't hurt anything. My filter said that it removed them on the label, IIRC.
brahn
Club IT Director

Postby Greywolf on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:52 pm

I use a Brita countertop filter. The Brita website states that their filters remove chlorine and chlorimines, not sure if this includes chlorides (which are wanted if you are making a hoppy beer) Gypsum is CaSO4.

I will usually just add some gypsum if I'm making a hoppy beer, CaCl if I'm making a malty brew.... in my recent Bohemian Pilsner, I did not add any salts (as Pilsner has some of the softest water on the planet)
GreyWolf27
Greywolf

Postby bwarbiany on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:29 pm

Greywolf wrote:I use a Brita countertop filter. The Brita website states that their filters remove chlorine and chlorimines

In the link I posted they used a Brita filter and it didn't remove 100% of chlorine/chloramine. Still better than just letting the water sit out overnight, but not completely removed. Granted, that link was from '98, so I don't know if Brita has changed their filters in between and made them more effective.
bwarbiany

Postby Greywolf on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:59 pm

One of the wish list items/projects for me in the new place is installing an RO system, either in the garage, or under the kitchen sink. Should cover all of the concerns. If I find a good deal, and have the coin, I may have it installed for the whole house. Will certainly save the scale build up... (if only there were unlimited funds....(
GreyWolf27
Greywolf

Previous

Return to Techniques