Growler conditioned?

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Marotte Brewery

Growler conditioned?

Post by Marotte Brewery »

Has anyone ever tried to growler condition a beer? By that, I mean treat it as a large bottle. Fill as you would a bottle with priming sugar and letting it carbonate...

The other question is: what kind of growler... The Bruery style flip tops naturally seem like the best choice because of the seal, but what about other growlers with screw tops?

I want to brew beer for a trip to Shaver Lake in August, but don't have room in the car for all of the accessories needed to bring a keg, but also would like to avoid having to fill so many bottles...
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Growler conditioned?

Post by brahn »

I've done it with the flip-top and screw-top types and it worked fine. It's tough to avoid getting sediment after the first beer though.
BARL Brewing

Re: Growler conditioned?

Post by BARL Brewing »

I've done this as well with the bruery growlers specifically. I agree it works fine, but I would just stress being very careful to clean and sanitize well especially the rubber seal. To state the obvious a 12oz bottle getting a "weird" flavor is one thing but a full growler would sting a bit more.