Light Struck Wort

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Light Struck Wort

Post by brahn »

I thought this was an interesting question/discussion over at Beervana about light struck wort:

http://beervana.blogspot.com/2011/05/li ... -wort.html

What do you think, could boiling/chilling/etc in direct sunlight cause skunking in the final beer?
lexuschris

Re: Light Struck Wort

Post by lexuschris »

Interesting thread...

I brew outdoors in the sun pretty often. I actually prefer it (perhaps with some light shade). I've not had skunky, light-struck, issues at all.

I guess it either takes a long period of time for the UV to react with the hop oils (or is it the iso-alpha acids?), or perhaps it is only a risk post-fermentation. I always store my brew in brown bottles & in the dark (or a keg :) )

-LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
backhousebrew

Re: Light Struck Wort

Post by backhousebrew »

Here's some good info on the effect of sunlight on beer.
I think I'll keep my wort in the shade.

"Beer is highly susceptible to light, and we might add, light from any source. In sunlight, the reaction is almost immediate. The ultraviolet part of the light spectrum breaks down the sulphur containing molecules, forming highly odourous mercaptans and other sulphurous compounds. A customer complaint on this subject cannot possibly be mistaken, as a most objectionable odour and flavour is present."
"A surprising fact is that beer in the regular amber bottle will begin to be noticeably 'lightstruck' within about two minutes, while beer in a clear glass will begin deteriorating within 30 seconds."
---An Introduction to the Brewing Process: Comments on Bottled Beer R.G. Black, revised by G.J. Kitz
http://sites.google.com/site/jesskidden ... es/various

Remember:
When outdoors in the sunlight, drink every glass of beer in less than 30 seconds!!
Drink Good Beer!