Rubber band aroma/flavor ?

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

lexuschris

Rubber band aroma/flavor ?

Post by lexuschris »

Hey all,

I got my score sheets back from the AFC competition: Robust Porter (25.5), Christmas Spiced Ale (31).

All the judge feedback was solid & appreciated! (And I could read their handwriting well enough!)

On the porter, both judges docked me for a 'phenolic rubber-like' aroma & flavor. One of them suggested that I should 'watch sanitation steps' and 'rack off yeast @ 2 weeks max as the yeast will start to break down and give rubberband flavors'.

I'd really like to remove this rubberband flavor from future beers, and would love to hear any thoughts on where this is coming from. I've heard from many of you that 2 weeks in primary should NOT be an issue (and I checked.. this porter was only 2 weeks in primary, then right to the bottle). So here are some details of my setup/process.

+ Plastic mash tun w/SS false bottom.
+ Plastic food-grade fermenter
+ Sanitize with Sani-Clean @ recommended 10ml/1gal H2O
+ Primary only for 2 weeks. Auto-siphon into bottling bucket w/priming sugar solution.
+ Bottles rinsed w/santizer & put on bottle tree for 20 mins prior to bottling. So, they are not bone dry, but being upside down for 20 mins. there is not really more than a drop of anything left in them.
+ I use Irish Moss in the boil, but otherwise do not clarify beyond that.
+ I use a copper IWC and drop my 5 gallon batches from boil to ~80-F in about 20 mins.

Suggestions & critiques are greatly appreciated!! :)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
DrDually

Re: Rubber band aroma/flavor ?

Post by DrDually »

Chris
I presume you are using a Better Bottle for fermentation so that should not be a problem. What sort of tubing are you using to rack?
Otherwise everything looks in order
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

The fermenter is a food grade bucket w/lid. The tubing in my transfer siphon is superflex PVC tubing from brew store.

I was wondering if my storing bottles at room temps was it... but I think I've noticed this kinda of issue even with my kegged beer. Never really thought of it as 'rubber', but now I can see that.

Maybe it really is just sanitizer residue..? The Star-San products aren't supposed to be noticable at those levels ...but.. hmmm...
--lexuschris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

How are you storing grain? It may be picking up something that is less than desirable
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch