Aged 21 years!!!!!!

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Second Home

Aged 21 years!!!!!!

Post by Second Home »

So here’s the deal… My first child is being born in late May and I have been toying with the idea of brewing a batch in May that I can age for 21 years. About a year ago or so I had a conversation with a few members at a meeting including Oskaar about this even being possible. From my understanding it is… I don’t really want to make a Barley Wine but I was maybe thinking about an Imperial Stout or something of that nature. If anyone has any information that can help me with this adventure or would even like to brew it with me, please let me know.
Here is all I know so far… if I am wrong, also please let me know…
1) Must be aged in the dark (no light is best)
2) Must be at cellar temperatures (50 – 55 degrees)
3) Must not vibrate (from compressor motor etc.)
4) Higher Alcohol content will age better
5) Oskaar mentioned aging 10 years in Glass, 10 years in Keg? (I think), and 1 year in the bottle…. Is this correct?

Thank you all for your help!!! Cheers! :cheers:
To good Friends, Good Times, and Good Brew!
maltbarley

Re: Aged 21 years!!!!!!

Post by maltbarley »

If you have a chance, I'd try to get over to the Bruery on a Friday evening. Chances are you will find Oskaar there along with Tyler, their brewer. The Bruery is working on a beer to commemorate the birth of Patrick's (owner of the Bruery) daughter that is to be aged 21 years. Let us know what you find out. Worst case, you enjoy a nice pint.