help asap yeast starter has fruit fly

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

huntfisher

help asap yeast starter has fruit fly

Post by huntfisher »

my yeast starter has a fruit fly in it right when i was gonna pitch it in a tripel. Should I wait a day to buy more yeast or whould I add Saf04 english dry yeast. The wort is in carboy since wednesaday 1am.
DrDually

Re: help asap yeast starter has fruit fly

Post by DrDually »

I would not take a chance on spoiling the beer with an insect. Get some new yeast and pitch...maybe two viles are needed if gravity is up there
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

+1 ... buy multiple vials and pitch ... cheap compared to rebrewing!!!

Dan
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

I nominate this brew to be named "Fly by night"
Jon Image
lars

Post by lars »

Meh, fruit flies don't drink much... But on the other hand they do carry around a bunch of random stuff from the fruit and dung they have landed on. Go buy some more yeast and be happy with your results rather than wonder what have happened if you had pitched clean yeast.
Shut up and brew
jward

Post by jward »

I think the question was pitch dry yeast now or buy fresh yeast of the desired type tomorrow. I didn't think huntfisher was considering adding the fruit-fly starter. What did you end up doing? I would say it depends on if the safale can ferment the desired beer style. If if can I would pitch the safale. If not I would consider doubling up on the desired liquid yeast the next day.
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

jward wrote:I think the question was pitch dry yeast now or buy fresh yeast of the desired type tomorrow. I didn't think huntfisher was considering adding the fruit-fly starter. What did you end up doing? I would say it depends on if the safale can ferment the desired beer style. If if can I would pitch the safale. If not I would consider doubling up on the desired liquid yeast the next day.
yeah, i wasn't consider throwing in the yeast starter . I went ahead and pitched the so4 and today I also added WL530, so wondering what type of flavor gonna turn out. Starting gravity was 1.088, lots of evaporation. Fermentation is really taking off right now

Fly By Night, does sound like a kick ass name though.

thanks for tips. just woke up from a long catnap.