Any recommendation for y-starter kolsch all-grain

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

huntfisher

Any recommendation for y-starter kolsch all-grain

Post by huntfisher »

Some sites recommend that I use one cup of dme to 1300ml of water.I have a 2000ml flask, so I was wondering if this is big enough, the kolsch will be made at lagering temps. Plan on brewing Friday. Also, how long should I aerate wort with one of those throw away oxygen canisters. I had it at full blast for twenty seconds last time.

thanks for your time
Justin
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Any recommendation for y-starter kolsch all-grain

Post by brahn »

My rule for starters is simple, 1g DME to 10ml final volume. For 1300ml starter you would use 130g DME and however much water it takes to get to 1300ml.

What's the expected OG on the kolsch? What temperature do you expect to ferment at? Lagering temps would generally be in the 30's or 40's. Lager fermentation temp would be low 50's (I think). The kolsch yeasts would probably work fine in the 50's but are generally expected to be used in the 60's.
lars

Post by lars »

What size batch?
Shut up and brew
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

lars wrote:What size batch?
Oh yea, good question. :)
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

5 gallon batch
preboil 1.046
original gravity 1.052
White labs German Ale/Kolsch wlp029

instructions recommend primary fermentation (14days) at 60 degrees and same for secondary (21 days).. age 4 weeks at 52.

I guess I will just follow instructions instead of keeping primary in the mid fifties if it is better for the yeast, I wanted more lager characteristics.

Would it be better to make a bigger starter than 130g of dme or should I try 150g to 1500ml.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

According to mrmalty.com, you should be making a 2.83 liter starter. This will create the optimal amount of yeast. If you make a smaller starter, you will still make beer, but you want to try to pitch the right amount of yeast to get the best results.

I use the same formula as brahn for my starters, 1g:10ml. Gets you to about a 1.038 gravity for your starter. For DME, you are also better off going by weight instead of volume when you measure it.

For normal gravity beers (less than 1.060), I normally run the O2 for about a minute and longer for higher gravity beers.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I'm getting a different number than Brad, but still larger than 1.5L. I suggest you check out JZ's calculator at mrmalty.com.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

thanks for the tips and other online sources.