All Grain: Splitting Mash and Boil?

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Maynerd

All Grain: Splitting Mash and Boil?

Post by Maynerd »

When brewing all grain can you split the process into multiple days? Example, Mash one day and boil the following day. If so could this affect the final product?
backyard brewer

Re: All Grain: Splitting Mash and Boil?

Post by backyard brewer »

It's possible, but there is also a good chance the mash could sour. If you can runoff and then refrigerate the pre-boil that would be best.
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

Refrigerated wort is susciptable to bacterial infection. I have brewed and ppitched yeast the next day and the beer came out fine, but you are taking your chances...
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I have heard many new all grain brewers ask this question. The all grain brew day does take a big time commitment. I would echo what Derrin and Eric said about souring the wort if you wait too long to boil it. In order to save time on my brew days, I measure out everything the night before I brew (water, grain, hops). When I get up in the morning, it's flame on. Cleaning as you go can save time too.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

oc eric wrote:Refrigerated wort is susciptable to bacterial infection. I have brewed and ppitched yeast the next day and the beer came out fine, but you are taking your chances...

+1 :happybeer:
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
Maynerd

Post by Maynerd »

Thanks for the feedback gents. I won't take the chances and will hammer it out early Saturday morning. In an ideal world I would never consider splitting the process, but my weekends are usually busier than my work week.

Brad, thanks for that tip. I usually have everything measured out and ready to go, but have never pre-measured the water. Genius idea, totally will do that.