Fermentation Temp.?

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

ArrogantDan

Fermentation Temp.?

Post by ArrogantDan »

I'm brewing a Kolsch on Sat. and the Club Barleywine on Wed. I know the Kolsch needs to ferment colder than a typical ale, so my question is, can I ferment both of these beers at the same time, and if so, at what temp.? By the way, I am using a temp. controlled fermenter.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Fermentation Temp.?

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

If you are using the WLP029 yeast for the Kolsch, you can go up to 69F with it. I like it around 65F, but you should be fine around 67-68F for both beers if you are using WLP001 for the Barleywine.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

The Kolsch will be Fruity for at least a month if you ferment at 69. At least that is what happened to mine...

I gotta make another one! That is some goood summer beer for sure. :happybeer:
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

oc eric wrote:The Kolsch will be Fruity for at least a month if you ferment at 69. At least that is what happened to mine...

I gotta make another one! That is some goood summer beer for sure. :happybeer:
A good Kolsch is a thing of beauty for sure. I need to make some more too. I still have three bottles left of my last one. I am entering it in the IEB comp this week.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:If you are using the WLP029 yeast for the Kolsch, you can go up to 69F with it. I like it around 65F, but you should be fine around 67-68F for both beers if you are using WLP001 for the Barleywine.
+1, although I think I'd ferment both at 65F and use US-05 for the Barleywine. :)

Speaking of, when does the Barleywine need to be ready?
ArrogantDan

Post by ArrogantDan »

The comments sound encouraging. I have one other question though, is 14 days long enough to lager/condition at 40F or should I wait for 28 days? What can I expect from both? Damn, I guess that's two questions...My Bad!!!
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I would let the Barleywine go at least 3 weeks in primary just to make sure it finishes out. For Kolsch's, I like to let them go two to three weeks at the primary temp, then slowly lower the temp down to 35F (2 degrees per day) and let it sit there for at least two weeks before kegging.
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

For the Kolsch I cheated. I primaried for 2 weeks then secondaried for another 2, instead of lagering. Maybe that's why I took second and not first... :D
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway