Hydrometer sample off the carb'd keg...

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Hydrometer sample off the carb'd keg...

Post by bwarbiany »

I need to pull a hydro sample from my kegged Belgian IPA for the FG reading. I never got around to it and now I actually want the number.

I assume the easiest method is to pull the sample, let it sit and come up to proper reading temperature, and drop the hydro in. But do I need to wait until it's fully flat? Will carbonation affect the reading?
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Hydrometer sample off the carb'd keg...

Post by brahn »

I believe carbonation will affect the reading. You can pour the beer back and forth between two glasses to help get the co2 out of solution.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

brahn wrote:I believe carbonation will affect the reading. You can pour the beer back and forth between two glasses to help get the co2 out of solution.
+1. The bubbles will bouy up the hydrometer. Just pour it back and forth like mentioned and all should be good.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

backyard brewer wrote:
brahn wrote:I believe carbonation will affect the reading. You can pour the beer back and forth between two glasses to help get the co2 out of solution.
+1. The bubbles will bouy up the hydrometer. Just pour it back and forth like mentioned and all should be good.
+2

Why are so desperate for a hydrometer reading? Just curiosity? Did you bet someone on what your finishing gravity would be?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:Why are so desperate for a hydrometer reading? Just curiosity? Did you bet someone on what your finishing gravity would be?
Since moving the brewery to my house, I've got a different fermentation fridge and I'm now using a new fermenter (the Sanke keg conversion).

I've done three batches since:
My RyePA was 71% AA (lower than expected).
My Light Belgian was 77% AA.
And I don't know what I got for the Belgian IPA, but as mentioned that judge suggested it was underattenuated.

I'm trying to get my process dialed in for the new brewing location, and I want to see if something's changed affecting my attenuation. Also, I want to figure out attenuation on the Belgian IPA to determine whether that judge was full of it.
Brad
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

bwarbiany wrote:
BrewMasterBrad wrote:Why are so desperate for a hydrometer reading? Just curiosity? Did you bet someone on what your finishing gravity would be?
Since moving the brewery to my house, I've got a different fermentation fridge and I'm now using a new fermenter (the Sanke keg conversion).

And I don't know what I got for the Belgian IPA, but as mentioned that judge suggested it was underattenuated.

I'm trying to get my process dialed in for the new brewing location, and I want to see if something's changed affecting my attenuation. Also, I want to figure out attenuation on the Belgian IPA to determine whether that judge was full of it.

Did you mean this Sanke Keg Fermenter Kit?

Sorry..... SEO Grab ;-)
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Of course, it would be *that* Sanke Keg Conversion Kit!

And by the way, I took the FG reading. 1.011 (down from 1.075). I'd say it attenuated pretty well, since that's 85.5% AA.
Brad
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

backyard brewer wrote:
bwarbiany wrote:

Did you mean this Sanke Keg Fermenter Kit?

Sorry..... SEO Grab ;-)
I'm glad I'm not the only one doing it! :D
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway