mead bottling

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

jward

mead bottling

Post by jward »

What is low down on mead bottling? I have been using beer bottles and crowns. I thought I have seen Pete and Dan use corks and wine bottles too. I thought screw caps were the up and coming technology to allow resealing and avoid cork taint and such. I would like to use smaller bottles for handing out to folks.
oc eric

Re: mead bottling

Post by oc eric »

jward wrote:What is low down on mead bottling? I have been using beer bottles and crowns. I thought I have seen Pete and Dan use corks and wine bottles too. I thought screw caps were the up and coming technology to allow resealing and avoid cork taint and such. I would like to use smaller bottles for handing out to folks.
I'll check with my suppliers for smaller bottles and mead bottling options.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

It is so refreshing to find a business that will go the extra mile for customer service.
Thanks Eric
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

8 oz bottles would be perfect. I used wine bottles and corks for the first mead I made. That was cool for giving out as gifts, but it does not make sense for entering comps, or if you just want a glass or two while sitting in the spa.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

You'll want to get the 187 ml splits that will take a crown cap. They sell them as champagne bottles.
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

Oskaar wrote:You'll want to get the 187 ml splits that will take a crown cap. They sell them as champagne bottles.
Woa! Those bottles are pricey. I can get them, but they are $ 22.00 / case of 24 with Brewcommune's discount.

Since it will be 6+ months before we're drinking this, there's plenty of time for me to order the bottles.

Hey Pete - would the Grolsch flipper cap bottles work well for mead? Do you carbonate mead by adding honey and yeast at bottling?

Eric
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

I don't recommend the flip tops except for transporting or for a couple of days. Crown caps or corks are both better.

You'll have to have a low finishing gravity to carbonate your mead naturally and I generally use honey and yeast to prime when I do.
jward

Post by jward »

Clear bottles to show off the mead, or brown to protect them from light?
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

Dark green wine bottles are what I use. They're more of a green-brown color. I use cork closures most of the time except when I'm in a hurry and don't have time to properly apply the corks, then I use crown caps on brown, 22-ounce bottles.

Clear is fine if you're not going to keep them anywhere near light, or want to show off a particularly vivid colored mead, or a bright, clear, brilliant and gemlike traditional.

Cheers,

Oskaar