Keg Dispensing

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

BARL Brewing

Keg Dispensing

Post by BARL Brewing »

I noticed that as the beer level in my keg has gone down I started pouring foam. Not sure if the volume has anything to do with this as I suspect that it is just the temp of the beer in the line. What I’ve done is started pouring into two glasses. The first glass I pour about half full (mostly foam) then switch over to the second glass when the beer starts pouring more clearly and it pours great.
Thoughts?

As an aside - Wanted to find out if anyone removes their quick disconnect beer out line between pours, or if this just a bad idea? I was kind of worried of the kids pulling on the handles
oc eric

Re: Keg Dispensing

Post by oc eric »

What do you have the dispense pressure set to? It may just be set too high. 10 PSI seems to work for me.

I sometimes keep mine connected and sometimes I don't. So far I haven't noticed any detriment except the post has old beer on it that I need to clean off before quick connecting again.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I'm with oc eric. As long as my pressure is set right, the carbonation stays correct. I think you might be seeing a different issue, where it's not the change in beer level that causes the foam, but the fact that each day you're adding CO2 to the beer. Typically force-carbing a beer at 10-12 psi takes 2 weeks or more. Most of us slam it with 30 psi or more for a day or two to get it there, then back off to serving pressure. But if you're just over the proper carbonation level, the foam issue will tend to build up slowly over time, conveniently occurring as you start draining the keg. It's easy to attribute the issue to the dropping beer volume instead of the time connected to pressure.
Brad
jimmyjames

Post by jimmyjames »

BARL Brewing wrote:I suspect that it is just the temp of the beer in the line. What I’ve done is started pouring into two glasses. The first glass I pour about half full (mostly foam) then switch over to the second glass when the beer starts pouring more clearly and it pours great.
Thoughts?
If it starts to pour well after a bit, then you may be correct that its just the temp of the beer inthe line... especially if you're dispensing from one of those towers.

Also related to the issues of serving pressure is the length of the beer line. I don't pretend to understand it. All i know is that once my beer is carbonated i set it to about 8 pounds and i have about 5' long beer lines. Sometimes, I do have to make minor adjustments though... if i notice a keg becoming too highly carbonated i'll turn of the c02 for the next few pours, then turn it back on at a slightly lower pressure.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Heyas,

I just transferred my Double Tandem Ale clone to a keg, and have been carb'ing it up. When I went to pour the first sample, I got the usual explosive foam shot which ricochets off the class, wall, tap tower, etc. However, it quickly went down to a mere trickly form the tap.

I disconnected and forced sanitizer through the tap tower lines and removed the faucet and made sure all was really clean. Sanitizer flowed freely. When I purged, and reconnected the Ale, still just a tickle.

Any thoughts on the best way to resolve this blockage?

I did clarify with gelatin, like I have done for my past 7 brews. I figure either the gelatine all settled around the intake tube, in such a way that channeling occured and beer is flowing enough to keep the pressure from pushing out the blocking gelatin. OR ... perhaps the intake tube is just clogged with a nice chunk of gelatin.

My only thought is to disconnect gas & beer lines, equalize pressure by pulling the check valve tab. Then try to force CO2 down the fluid tube and push it out....

Again, any thoughts or anecdotes are appreciated!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

BARL Brewing wrote:As an aside - Wanted to find out if anyone removes their quick disconnect beer out line between pours, or if this just a bad idea? I was kind of worried of the kids pulling on the handles
Check this out: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/new-ide ... ps-189103/

When I finally do a full keezer, I think I'm going to do this. If I get up to the 4-5 tap keezer I want, I certainly don't want to be going in there to connect tap lines every time I need to pour.
Brad
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I would remove both QD's, vent the pressure, then remove the liquid out post and dip tube. You can do that without disturbing the beer. Run a brush down the dip tube and clean the poppet area of the post. I've had hop material get stuck in the post before. Why use CO2 and push it back into the beer when you can clean it out and be done with it.
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

JonW wrote:I would remove both QD's, vent the pressure, then remove the liquid out post and dip tube. You can do that without disturbing the beer. Run a brush down the dip tube and clean the poppet area of the post. I've had hop material get stuck in the post before. Why use CO2 and push it back into the beer when you can clean it out and be done with it.
+1
Do not forget to sanitize everything before placing back in keg
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

DrDually wrote:
JonW wrote:I would remove both QD's, vent the pressure, then remove the liquid out post and dip tube. You can do that without disturbing the beer. Run a brush down the dip tube and clean the poppet area of the post. I've had hop material get stuck in the post before. Why use CO2 and push it back into the beer when you can clean it out and be done with it.
+1
Do not forget to sanitize everything before placing back in keg
Good idea. Will give this a try Tuesday nite...
Thx!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Good Advice ... +1.

Dan
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Found the little bugger...
blob of gelatin
blob of gelatin
gelatin_clog.jpg (37.84 KiB) Viewed 3855 times
When I took off the ball lock assembly, this little gelatin blob was sitting at the top of the tube. Blew it out, re-sanitized, and we are off to the races!

Thanks all! :happybeer:
--LexusChris
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

Looks like a beer booger :lol:
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

lexuschris wrote: When I took off the ball lock assembly, this little gelatin blob was sitting at the top of the tube. Blew it out, re-sanitized, and we are off to the races!

Thanks all! :happybeer:
--LexusChris
D'OH!

That's why I put the gelatin in the primary :-)
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Did you taste the gelatin booger? Mmmmmmm.

I have been using gelatin for a long time and never had a problem like this. Probably due to the fact that I transfer it off the gelatin into a serving keg. I don't move my bright tank kegs (with shortened dip tubes) before transfering, so all the gunk remains settled at the bottom of the bright tank.

Glad you were able to solve the problemm and rescue that beer.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's