Quick Sanitizing

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Quick Sanitizing

Post by brahn »

I'm curious what everyone uses for quickly sanitizing stuff when you may not want to mix up a whole batch of sanitizer. I've used star san in a spray bottle, but that's ruined all the spray bottles I've done it with pretty quickly. From what I can tell, iodophor doesn't last more than a day or so in the spray bottle, so that doesn't help. At The Bruery they use rubbing alcohol, which I'm not really a fan of using at the smaller homebrew scale. I think Pete at one time said he used cheap vodka, which I think might be the best option. My concern would be that I've heard you need a 60% ethanol solution to work as a sanitizer and that rules out most vodkas. What do you guys think?
Rezzin

Re: Quick Sanitizing

Post by Rezzin »

I like rubbing alcohol. I'm curious, why would you not want to use it?
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I've been using Sani-Clean for my sanitizing, and at 5ml per half gallon of water, I'll mix up a little batch like that. Haven't really tried anything else... (other than vodka in the fermentation lock).
--lexuschris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

I use 70% isopropyl alcohol - same as commercial breweries. Just shake it dry and you're good to go.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Rezzin wrote:I like rubbing alcohol. I'm curious, why would you not want to use it?
Even in small quantities it just bothers me to put something toxic in my beer...
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Star San lasts a long time in a bucket. I keep a bucket of it made and just check the pH before using it.
Kevin
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I agree, it does last well. I keep a keg with a cobra tap on it for refilling spray bottles (that still work great) and rinsing bottles/growlers before filling.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

maltbarley wrote:I agree, it does last well. I keep a keg with a cobra tap on it for refilling spray bottles (that still work great) and rinsing bottles/growlers before filling.
Nice idea, how's carbonated Star San work?
Jon Image
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

JonGoku wrote:...how's carbonated Star San work?
Well since blowing CO2 into water lowers the pH, I don't think it can hurt.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

maltbarley wrote:Well since blowing CO2 into water lowers the pH, I don't think it can hurt.
Nice, I'm thinking I need to get some pH strips. Anyone know where the best place is to get these cheap, like pet shops etc?
Jon Image
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

JonGoku wrote:
maltbarley wrote:Well since blowing CO2 into water lowers the pH, I don't think it can hurt.
Nice, I'm thinking I need to get some pH strips. Anyone know where the best place is to get these cheap, like pet shops etc?
I bought a Hanna pH meter on eBay a while back for only like $35.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

backyard brewer wrote:I bought a Hanna pH meter on eBay a while back for only like $35.
Which one did you get? There are a number in that price range.
Jon Image