What if it's still bubbling???

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Nickrp83

What if it's still bubbling???

Post by Nickrp83 »

Another newb question. We brewed our second batch a little over a week ago and it's still bubbling quite a bit. My question is do we bottle it at the end of two weeks if it's still bubbling or do we wait another few days until it stops??
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: What if it's still bubbling???

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Have patience. Never rush a beer. I would wait until the airlock stops bubbling and then wait another two or three days after that before doing anything. Let the yeast finish doing their job. Even after visual signs of fermentation are gone, the yeast are still working and cleaning up after themselves.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
lars

Post by lars »

If it is still bubbling, then it is not done fermenting. Some batches just take longer. Why, it is all about the combination of the recipe, how it was brewed, temperature, and especially the yeast etc. On the other hand... if you want to be sure take a hydrometer reading. That will tell you for sure if it is done or not.
Shut up and brew
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Worth noting that if you decide not to wait and bottle before the beer is done fermenting, the consequences could be more than just messing up that batch. It will make some very carbonated beer, which could explode in the bottles. Very dangerous and a big mess.
Kevin
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Good point Kevin!

Also note that to determine if fermetation is actaully done you should take readings over at least 3 days and note no change in gravity. Just beacuse the beer has hit anticipated FG doens't mean it's done.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

And if all that sounds like too much trouble, there is no harm in leaving the beer in the primary for 3 or even 4 weeks to make sure it is done.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's