Keg Hopping

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Keg Hopping

Post by brahn »

I just kegged a RyePA this weekend, but it won't be going on tap for at least a few days and maybe a few weeks. I've also got 2 kegs, so at least one of them will be waiting a good while before it gets served. I like to do my dry hopping in the keg and I've gone back and forth on leaving the hops in the entire time the keg is being served and taking them out after a week or two. I'm trying to decide two things:

1. Do I dry hop both kegs now, or dry hop one now and wait until I get closer to serving the other keg to add the dry hops.

2. Leave the hops in the whole time, or take them out after a week or two. (I suppose I could do both also, one with each keg)

What do you guys think?

I'll be dry hopping each keg with 1 oz of Columbus in case that affects your opinion.

Brent
brianc

Re: Keg Hopping

Post by brianc »

I am going to be doing something very similar on my most recent batch and plan to add the dry hops to the keg shortly before serving and then leaving them in the whole time.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

I'm not sure if this would make sense, but you wouldn't necessarily have to put it all in at once right? Could you add 0.5oz now and then add the other 0.5oz a few days before starting to serve.

Just an idea as I have no experience either way.
Jon Image
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I guess it depends on when you plan to serve the second keg, but I'd wait on the dry hopping. I really like the taste of a freshly dry-hopped beer.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Is the second keg going to be stored cold? That makes a difference as well. Temperature makes a huge difference in dry hop extraction.

If you can't decide what to do, just bring the second keg to my house and I will take care of it for you. :mrgreen:
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

The kegs will be at room temp since I don't have enough cold storage space. It sounds like I'll wait for the second keg, although I might do something like Jon suggested but do 1oz now and another ounce before serving.
jolopez

Post by jolopez »

just learned about the club, im in palm springs and cant find any clubs out here, so im thinking of joining this club. can someone explain how dry hopping would work in the keg, would you just put your hop pellets in mesh and toss it into the keg.
thanks
joe
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

jolopez wrote:just learned about the club, im in palm springs and cant find any clubs out here, so im thinking of joining this club. can someone explain how dry hopping would work in the keg, would you just put your hop pellets in mesh and toss it into the keg.
thanks
joe
Hey Joe, welcome the the forum. It is best to put keg hops in a hop bag or tea ball. You just need something to keep the hops from clogging up the works.

There is a club in the Coachella Valley. I found their web site, but I don't know how active they are - http://coachellavalleyhomebrewers.org/

Of course, you are more than welcome to join both clubs, but it is nice to have some fellow brewers that live close by.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:
jolopez wrote:just learned about the club, im in palm springs and cant find any clubs out here, so im thinking of joining this club. can someone explain how dry hopping would work in the keg, would you just put your hop pellets in mesh and toss it into the keg.
thanks
joe
Hey Joe, welcome the the forum. It is best to put keg hops in a hop bag or tea ball. You just need something to keep the hops from clogging up the works.

There is a club in the Coachella Valley. I found their web site, but I don't know how active they are - http://coachellavalleyhomebrewers.org/

Of course, you are more than welcome to join both clubs, but it is nice to have some fellow brewers that live close by.
Ditto on the welcome.

Loose hops in a keg are hell. Use the hopbag or tea-ball.

There is also the Inland Empire Homebrewers, they are an active club and a shorter drive fro you but then we're much cooler people ;-)