Water Profile for Buena Park

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

oc eric

Water Profile for Buena Park

Post by oc eric »

I'm trying to understand water profiles and adding chemicals to the water and what effect that has on the water. I looked up the water quality and analysis for Buena Park, CA and pluged it into BeerSmith.

http://www.buenapark.com/Modules/ShowDo ... mentid=625
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Water Profile for Buena Park

Post by brahn »

You can also get a cheap and easy water analysis of the water at your tap from Ward Labs.

http://www.brewcommune.com/tips-a-trick ... lysis.html
lexuschris

Re: Water Profile for Buena Park

Post by lexuschris »

Hey Eric,

I'm new to the water chemistry thing too. I found some really great reading in John Palmer's guide regarding all-grain & water profiles.. I also found an interesting thread at BeerTools.com.

Between that and the spreadsheets you'll find on page 3 of JP's chapter, I am starting to understand a few things about water. Basically, the pH of the mash is important to get the enzymes happy to make good beer. Your water pH plus the grains used will ultimately determine your mash pH at mash temp. You want it between 5.1-5.5 pH.

Anyways, check it out, and the nomographs on Relative Alkalinity (RA) too. Either you brew beers that naturally match your water profile, or change your water chemistry by adding salts, etc. to brew the style you want.

I'm sure RDWHAHB still is the rule here. Most of us brewed for years not worrying about water details.
:happybeer:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields