Raw Sugar Cane Fermentation

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

comrade

Raw Sugar Cane Fermentation

Post by comrade »

Similar to my previous post about agave fermentation, I am planning a fermentation of some raw sugar derived from sugar cane. I am expecting to get it in granular form, but highly unrefined and dark with molasses. Does anyone have any experience fermenting pure sugar cane in a "wort" or "must" consisting strictly of sugar, water, yeast, and yeast nutrient?
lars

Post by lars »

I've done a few fermentations of molasses alone and molasses with sugar. I've used EC1118 with both. Both fermentations were slow to start, and went for a few weeks. I'm about to start another using a "turbo" yeast so I can compare.
Shut up and brew
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

There are a couple of other yeasts in the Lallemand line that may be of interest.

One is K1-V1116 (Montpellier) and Uvaferm 43 which is a real beast, and the best standard wine yeast for high gravity/high alcohol ferments (18+ ABV)

Hope that helps,

Oskaar
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
comrade

Post by comrade »

Lars, I'd love to swing by when you are doing up that next batch to discuss further!