Monitoring Mash Temps

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

lexuschris

Monitoring Mash Temps

Post by lexuschris »

Greets,

This weekend, while mashing in my converted orange cooler, I tried out my new instant read digital thermometer.

When I added my strike water to the grain, stirred and took a reading with my pot clip-on dial thermometer, it read 152-F. I was always concerned about the read with this one, as it clips to the side of the pot, and is nearly touching the side wall.

When I opened my tun after 20 mins, gave it a good stir, I used my digital instant thermometer in the middle of the cooler and got 159-F. Wow, a pretty big difference!

I went inside and recalibrated the digital with crushed ice in a water solution, and went back out for another read. 159-F. So, I stirred like crazy with the top up, and got it to cool down to a 154-F read in the center of the mash bed. Put the lid on and left it for the remaining 40 mins.

:idea: Where is the best place to read mash temp, to be sure you hit your mash temp target?

This batch, I missed my SG target of 1.060 with a lower 1.052. My previous batch, I went over my target (a tad) of 1.060 with 1.062. That previous batch, I only used my dial thermometer, and thought I was too low .. and added hot water mid mash to raise the temp.

:idea: Is my loss in efficiency due to my change in how I monitor mash temp?

Thanks for any pointers!
--LexusChris

p.s. This session went really well, and the beer frementation is smelling delicious!
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Monitoring Mash Temps

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

The middle of the mash is the best spot to take your temp measurements. You will get different readings at different spots in the mash, that's normal. I usually stir the mash one more time half way through just to even out the temps. As long as you are close, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The mash temp may have something to do with your efficiency, but it probably has more to do with your sparge method than anything else (sparge rate, temperature of the sparge water, manifold or false bottom). The crush of your grain also plays a large part in efficiency. It will take you quite a few batches to get your method down and to achieve consistent efficiency rates.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
lexuschris

Re: Monitoring Mash Temps

Post by lexuschris »

Good to know! Thanks!
:cheers:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields