Root Beer?

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Root Beer?

Post by bwarbiany »

Anyone done it? Tips & tricks?

I've got everything I need to convert my kegerator to a 3-tapper, and have been meaning to do it, but I never have three beers on tap. So I might as well do the conversion and dedicate one tap to soda for my wife. And of course, I know I'll probably need new o-rings for the keg and to dedicate one keg to only be used for soda as well.

It looks like making it from extract/flavoring and sugar is pretty straightforward. And since it's being kegged, I don't have to worry about yeast or natural carbonation. But if anyone has tried this, and has any particular pitfalls to avoid, I'd appreciate it.
Brad
kevinham

Re: Root Beer?

Post by kevinham »

Planning on doing this soon as well. We have the root beer extract at The Bruery Provisions, so I figure why not.

The only issues I know of is that root beer, and soda in general, needs a lot higher carbonation than beer. It also because of that needs a much longer line, which has to become a soda only line, like the keg.
Kevin
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Oops, ignore my question on soda pop in the other thread I didn't realize you made a new one dedicated to it. :lol:
Jon Image
jward

Post by jward »

Some of the recipes call for honey. I liked the root beer with honey. The first pints seemed a little heavy with honey probably do to needing more mixing.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

kevinham wrote:The only issues I know of is that root beer, and soda in general, needs a lot higher carbonation than beer. It also because of that needs a much longer line, which has to become a soda only line, like the keg.
Yeah, they say it should have about 3-3.5 volumes CO2... Which will have to wait, since I only have a single regulator with a 3-way distribution block. I hadn't considered the longer line, though, that's good to note.
Brad
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I have made a lot of soda for my kids using splenda and splenda/sugar combinations to reduce their sugar intake. Diet cola could be made just as easy as regular cola and soda in general is very easy to make. I recommend mixing up small amounts until you get the ratios you desire. A small soda bottle with a carbonator cap is great for this.

By the way, this is especially useful around the holidays if you have large family get-togethers. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'm responsible for at least 5 gallons of sparkling apple juice and whatever the adults imbibe. This saves a lot of money on Martinelli's.

I haven't had any problems using the same hose lengths in the kegerator, but I do have a cobra tap set up with a much longer line to deal with the crappy way those things pour.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

We do Root Beer here with a certain regularity. I use the Gnome Extract and I use a little champagne yeast for a day or two to get a little natural carbonation going ... the head seems a bit creamier (lacier) to me. I have a pair or 2.5 gallon cornies for this very purpose. I typically DO NOT hook these up to my kegerator taps ... I use a cobra tap instead. I do take advantage of the extra room in the kegerator and the extra CO2 lines that I keep at 30 psi or so to add / maintain pressure.

The process is VERY SIMPLE ... add water, sugar, extract per the instructions. The Gnome instructions give you a range .. I typically use the upper end of the range for both extract and sugar. Fermentation / mixing .. everything is done straight in the keg. I use a no-boil method and grab tap-hot water to dissolve the sugar (in 1/2 of the water), then top off with regular temp tap. That leaves me in the 85-90 range and I pitch the re-hydrated champagne yeast into that. Once I get a good buildup of pressure, I chill and pressurize.

We've tried the other soda flavors and have in general not liked them (lemon lime, orange, cola). But the root beer is always a big hit. We're gonna have to try Root Beer floats with home made ice cream one of these days.

Dan
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

The only thing I have to add is that you'll want to dedicate the keg and serving side to soda. Otherwise any beer after will taste like root beer.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Time spent breaking down, cleaning, reconditioning the keg for soda (with the "help" of a 21-month-old): 1 hour.

Time spent making root beer: < 20 min

That was easy.

I used the Zatarains extract, 3# of cane sugar, and 1.5# of sugar in the raw (turbinado). 5 gallons of sparkling drinking water, and now I wait to see how it comes out.

Any thoughts on the faucets? I'm currently using the cheaper rear-sealing faucets. I have enough trouble with these getting stuck for beer; I worry the extra-sticky root beer will be far worse. Is it time to invest in some forward-sealing faucets?
Brad
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Regardless of what you are serving, the forward sealing faucets will have you wondering why you waited so long to do so. I have never regretted changing mine out.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Figured I'd close the loop on this...

One interesting bit that I hadn't known is that carbonating soda is a little bit different than beer. According to one site I found, it's due to the high sugar content. Either way, 2 days @ 30 psi and the stuff was still flat. So I cranked my regulator to 60 psi, shook the shit out of it, and all was well from that point forward. But for those of you who are going to try this and plan on kegging, You'll want to watch for that.

Beyond that, it's been great. My wife is pleased as well. The next attempt will use the Fermentap extract, and will include the addition of some vanilla and honey to the recipe. I think if I keep this up, my wife might allow the kegerator to come out of the closet and join the household!
Brad
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Because of those carbing issues a lot of people recommend carbonating the water first and then adding the extract and sugar.
Kevin