Extract Specialty Grains, steep and store?

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Re: Extract Specialty Grains, steep and store?

Post by brahn »

The classic bacterial "danger zone" is about 40-140F.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

brahn wrote:The classic bacterial "danger zone" is about 40-140F.
Ah, I recalled the 40-140, but wasn't sure if that was F or C.

Interesting.
Jon Image
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Ok, I found this in an old AHA TechTalk email:
Jeff Harwood asks: >>>What is the consensus of the group of splitting up a brew day? Say getting the mash/lauter portion complete on Friday night with all of the wort collected into the brew kettle; then Saturday finishing up with the boil? <<<

I do this several times per year. I find it's a good way to use the time I have without neglecting (other) household duties. If you bring the collected wort up to pasteurization time/temperature (over 165F for a few minutes oughta be ample) and keep your vessel covered overnight you should have no problems, even though the temperature inside the vessel will fall down into the bacteria-friendly range-- you'll have already killed the buggers.

You *will* get people who will tell you in no uncertain terms that you'll only be making sour beer. I suspect those people have never done a split brew session, nor thought much about the process.

I should also note that I have intentionally soured a mash, and believe me it took more work than leaving clean, hot wort sit 6-8 hours overnight!
I actually really enjoy my brewday and the whole process, so I don't think I'll be trying it. It's an interesting experiment though. As for going longer than overnight, I think you'd need to look into canning, which would negate any time savings.