Cold Fermenting Ales

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Marotte Brewery

Cold Fermenting Ales

Post by Marotte Brewery »

How cold is too cold for an ale? Specifically, Hefeweizen Yeast (WLP300).

I have access to a 56 degree (65% Humidity) wine storage facility in Paso Robles. So, last weekend I brewed up a batch of German Hefeweizen (from B3) and left it to ferment in one of the storage lockers. My future father-in-law has been checking the airlock for me to make sure of no clogging or running out of water, so it's not completely abandoned.

I just thought I would post this to the forum to get some opinions on this.

I was planning on bottling when I go back up there next weekend (12-13 days in primary), but I want to make sure that by fermenting on the colder side, I don't need to delay bottling? I don't really have an option to delay bottling... but I'm just curious.

Jeremy
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Cold Fermenting Ales

Post by brahn »

At 56 it will certainly ferment slower and you'll get a different flavor profile. I would expect it to finish in about 2 weeks, so it will be close. I'd bring your hydrometer to make sure before you bottle it. You wouldn't want to create a batch of bombs. I ferment some of my beers with ale yeast as low as 50-53F and they usually take about 2 weeks to ferment. The OG of those beers would be in the 1.045 range and it would probably take longer for a bigger beer.

You could have him pull it out of the temp controlled room a day or two before you get there to let it finish up also.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

This wouldn't be at SLO Wine Storage would it?

You definitely won't get the banana and clove out of that yeast by fermenting at those temps, but it should ferment anyway. Let us know how it turns out.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
jward

Post by jward »

At lower temps you might see more clove flavor. The American variety of that yeast gives more clove below 67-68 and more banana above that. I may be remembering the temp. wrong but its around there.
Marotte Brewery

BrewMasterBrad wrote:This wouldn't be at SLO Wine Storage would it?
No. Safe Haven Wine Services in Paso Robles.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Given that profile, I'd let it get about a week of fermentation, then move it somewhere warmer. If it's mostly fermented at the lower temp, off flavors won't be as much of an issue.

Once the krausen is starting to subside, let it warm up... That way you should get complete fermentation.
Brad
Marotte Brewery

Based more on timing and availability, yesterday the fermenter was moved to the tasting room that can be kept at 68 degrees. It's about as warm as it can get and still be temperature controlled (short of moving it outside and dealing with huge temperature swings).

I'm going to take the advice of brahn and take my hydrometer with me (even though I never check when brewing at home) to check the gravity to make sure I'm not creating bottle bombs.... which brings another question...

Since I never check the gravity... mainly because it seemed like a major pain with the equipment I originally bought with my starter kit 3 years ago.. What is the best vessel to check the gravity using a standard hydrometer? I tried the first time in the plastic tube that the hydrometer came in and it just kept sticking to the sides... I have tried to fill my tallest glasses, but I don't have a tall enough glass to get a reading.. the hydrometer always hits the bottom... if I use a pitcher, there is a large amount of beer (or wort) needed to take the measurement, and it seems like a bit of a waste...

All ideas and suggestions welcome!

Thanks
Jeremy
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

That tube that the hydrometer came in should be fine. The trick is that you have to get it precisely level in order for the hydrometer to float in the very center. B3 sells a foam donut that creates a stable base to assist with this. I actually bought a larger diameter cylinder with a plastic base (looks like a bong) to make this process a bit easier, but the hydrometer still wants to hug the sides. It could also help to make sure the sample is flat and that there are no bubbles on the hydrometer itself to reduce buoyancy.

Cheers!
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I think a couple days at 68 is a good idea and should help it finish up. As for the hydrometer sticking to the sides of the tube, the captain's suggestions are good. I'd also suggest giving the hydrometer a quick spin, sometimes that will free it up and help it sit in the center.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

looks like a bong
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
How would you know?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Research purposes only I assure you...

...both hops and pot plants belong to the family Cannabinacea, and hail from Central Asia. Both are dioecious, meaning the species consists of male and female plants with separate sex organs. Both are prized for the sticky secretions of glands on their flowers and leaves, which have narcotic properties...

K:-)

Cheers!
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

brahn wrote:I think a couple days at 68 is a good idea and should help it finish up. As for the hydrometer sticking to the sides of the tube, the captain's suggestions are good. I'd also suggest giving the hydrometer a quick spin, sometimes that will free it up and help it sit in the center.
I do the same thing. Kind of spin it like a top while you drop it in the test jar. It also dislodges any bubbles that might buoy it up.
Marotte Brewery

Well, I measured the FG. Came out at 1.014. I think the week at higher temp help it finish up.

All bottled up and ready to ship to Denver.

Thanks for the advice!
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Marotte Brewery wrote:Well, I measured the FG. Came out at 1.014. I think the week at higher temp help it finish up.

All bottled up and ready to ship to Denver.

Thanks for the advice!
What's going on in Denver?
Jon Image
Marotte Brewery

That is where we are having our wedding. Red Rocks Amphitheatre. I made the Apple Ale and some Hefeweizen to put in the welcome bags.

Fiancee's last name is Appelbaum (for a short time), hence the need for an Apple Beer.