CO2 leak in system - think it's @ regulator - tank junction

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

CO2 leak in system - think it's @ regulator - tank junction

Post by bwarbiany »

A week and a half ago, I tried to dispense beer (at a party, no less), and found that my CO2 was empty. It had been flowing about a week before that, and then I went out of town, so I thought there would still be some pressure. I suspected a leak.

So the next day, I refilled my tank at O'Shea. Hooking it up, I had a difficult time getting the regulator to mate back onto the tank without it leaking CO2. I eventually thought I had it fully connected, but as of last night, the tank was empty again.

Obviously I should check the whole system for leaks, but I think I know that junction is problematic. Unfortunately, though, I'm having trouble trying to find a replacement O-ring for the seal, or replacement parts of any sort for that portion of the system.

Anyone have any sources?
Brad
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

Oshea's does have keg parts and they should be able to leak test your setup too.
If it's the regulator that's bad, I have a few extra dual guages and a lot of parts if you want another regulator.
I'm pretty busy this weekend, but might have some time sat afternoon if you need anything.
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

If you are looking to replace the fiber washer in that connection, any place that refills or exchanges should have them. If not you can buy them from MicroMatic.

Some places will give you replacements every time you exchange or refill it, they have them attached to those tags they put on them.

Spray some starsan on there and look around for bubbles to be sure. I had a leak when I first hooked up my system, and I found it was at that connection where the regulator attaches to the tank. I had it cranked on pretty damn tight, but not tight enough I found out.
Kevin
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I had a similar issue recently where I came home to an empty CO2 tank. It turns out that one of the poppets on one of my kegs is finicky. It's normally fine, but if you attach the gas disconnect and wiggle it a little you can get it to leak. Bummer. I've got extra poppets, just need to replace that one I guess.

Good luck finding your leak, I agree that StarSan is your friend when it comes to finding leaks.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I think Kevin in on the right track with this one. It sounds likeyour regulator nipple has a molded-in o-ring. Forget about trying to replace it. Just leave that o-ring in place and get a fiber washer from O'Shea. Crank that fitting down tightand you should be good to go.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

maltbarley wrote:I think Kevin in on the right track with this one. It sounds likeyour regulator nipple has a molded-in o-ring. Forget about trying to replace it. Just leave that o-ring in place and get a fiber washer from O'Shea. Crank that fitting down tightand you should be good to go.
Yep... Molded in o-ring... I'll try the washer when I refill the CO2.
Brad
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

bwarbiany wrote:
maltbarley wrote:I think Kevin in on the right track with this one. It sounds likeyour regulator nipple has a molded-in o-ring. Forget about trying to replace it. Just leave that o-ring in place and get a fiber washer from O'Shea. Crank that fitting down tightand you should be good to go.
Yep... Molded in o-ring... I'll try the washer when I refill the CO2.
I had the same problem. Steinfillers sells a little red formed-plastic gasket that works great. I removed the rubber o-ring in the face of he nipple and replaced it with the red plastic gasket.