Building a Ferment Chamber out of a dead freezer

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

thetonka

Building a Ferment Chamber out of a dead freezer

Post by thetonka »

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this. I am using the working freezer in a stand up fridge to cool a glycol bath which supplies glycol to a trans cooler in a dead chest freezer I am going to use as a ferment chamber. Got the inspiration from a NB thread.

http://tvhbajoomla.temeculahomebrewers. ... c.php?t=97

Enjoy. :D
===========================
Still learning and loving the home brew
www.fastdogbrewing.com

TVHA President

You are a pawn of my evil intent!
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

That's cool. Your plan to add another radiator to the freezer is a good one. That should get you what your looking for or at least help quite a bit. The other will be having thermal mass in the fermentation chamber. If you had a sheet of steel in there that the cooler was mounted to, that might provide a larger mass to "store" some cold and help with the swings. Paint it of course to seal it from condensation. Even jugs of water or cornies full of water would help.
thetonka

Post by thetonka »

The cooler is mounted to the side, which is metal so that helps. Good idea on the thermal mass, didn't think about that.

I was looking at adding another trans cooler, but I may just pick up a 10' length of copper tube and bed in up and mount it in horizontal passes on the back wall of the working freezer. The cooling tubes are behind the back wall which is removable. I figure if I pass the glycol thru 3-4 passes of copper tube from bottom to top then back into the glycol bath that should help with heat transfer to the freezer. I have a friend who is looking for a large aluminum tank for me to replace the tupperway. :D
===========================
Still learning and loving the home brew
www.fastdogbrewing.com

TVHA President

You are a pawn of my evil intent!