Propane tank users, A warning from the NPGA

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Rezzin

Propane tank users, A warning from the NPGA

Post by Rezzin »

I saw this posted on the greenboard.
Many of us use propane tanks. Someone in my brew club just forwarded this warning from the National Propane Gas Association. Apparently, Meth cooks are getting the propane tanks from the exchanges at Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc. and emptying them of the propane. Then, they are filling them with anhydrous ammonia (which they now have a recipe for). After they are finished with them, they return them to the store. They are then refilled with propane and sent back for you and me to buy. Anhydrous ammonia is very corrosive and weakens the structure of the tank. It can be very dangerous when mixed with propane and hooked up to our grills, etc.

According to the web site, you should inspect the propane tank for any blue or greenish residue around the valve areas. If it is present, refuse to purchase that one.

Anhydrous Ammonia and Propane Cylinders
I get mine refilled at Suburban Propane in Placentia but for anyone who swaps tanks, this could be very very important!
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
DHoke

Post by DHoke »

Looks like I will be filling mine up at the gas station for now on. Damn Crackheads!
Dustin Hoke
lars

Post by lars »

This may or may not be a hoax. There is some factual info in the orig post, but also some conjecture. Either way it doesn't hurt to take a close look at your tank. If you want more info check out the link below to snopes.com.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/methtank.asp
Shut up and brew