Propane burners - what do you recommend I upgrade to?

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Rezzin

Propane burners - what do you recommend I upgrade to?

Post by Rezzin »

The burner I have been using is round, has a wimpy flame, and takes forever to get 7 gallons to boil. I'll be starting 10 gallon batches in the near future so I want to upgrade my burner. I've seen a lot of good feedback on the SQ14 but was also considering the Hurricane Burner from NB. I'm looking for one that is fuel efficient and strong enough to boil 11-12 gallons w/o having to wait an hour. Any suggestions?
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

You should try another regulator on the burner you have. I would think that the burner you have now is already rated at 55,000 BTU.

If you want, I have a burner you are welcome to use. you can swap the regualtor off of it and see if that's what's causing the problem. When you are done with it, I would like to have it back.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Interesting... I have a similar question, as I've now moved up to 15-gallon batches and want a better burner.

Even more interesting is that I have the exact burner you're looking at, and it's not strong enough for the 15-gallon batches.

I did find it worked just fine for 10-gallon batches. Starting with 12 gallons or so, it would bring it up to a very vigorous boil. At 17-18 gallons (to boil down to 15), though, it doesn't produce the heavy boil I want to see...

I'm looking at this one: http://morebeer.com/view_product/17252/

I think 103,000 BTU will be a bit quicker at getting me to a nice boil. Even if (as I've heard) the thing sounds like a jet engine!
Brad
lars

Post by lars »

I have one of the hurricane burners. Works really well. But since I upgraded to a 30psi regulator the "small" burners I kept from my old turkey fryer work much better. I'd suggest upgrading your regulator first, then decide if you want to upgrade your burner (you'll need a better reg with a new burner anyways).
Shut up and brew
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

maltbarley wrote:You should try another regulator on the burner you have. I would think that the burner you have now is already rated at 55,000 BTU.

If you want, I have a burner you are welcome to use. you can swap the regualtor off of it and see if that's what's causing the problem. When you are done with it, I would like to have it back.
Sounds good. Thanks Tim.

Here is the burner I am currently using:

Don't mind that little bracket piece there - I just added them because i was afraid the keggle might slip off or something.

My brew days are under <5 hours right now and I want to keep it that way if I can. My my current setup I'd probably have to add another hour to it - who knows, I might even be able to shorten my brewdays with a new regulator/burner!
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Lars wrote:I have one of the hurricane burners. Works really well. But since I upgraded to a 30psi regulator the "small" burners I kept from my old turkey fryer work much better. I'd suggest upgrading your regulator first, then decide if you want to upgrade your burner (you'll need a better reg with a new burner anyways).
Hey Lars - I haven't forgotten about you! I think my wife and I might be able to drop by tonight. My water softener broke last night (it started it's regeneration at 2am and never stopped until 7:30 this morning when I turned it off) so if the tech doesn't come out tonight, we'll hopefully get a chance to stop by.

Can you PM your home number again? My old phone died and the only number I have is your office number I think (area code 951).
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I've heard great things about the banjo cookers. They go up to 210K BTU if you get the higher pressure regulator and are supposedly whisper quiet.

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/kab4_banjo_burner.htm

The only complaint I've heard is with the legs needing to be reinforced by some people but I believe the newer model (kab5) takes care of that issue.
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

Check out http://morebeer.com/ on their beer deal of the day: 0-10 psi propane regulator for $4.95.
Hell, buy them all and re-sell them and make an extra $15-$20 each! I'd do it but don't have the cash (or room) for this kick ass deal. Only 17 left as of 6:10 PST.
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Yeah Lars called me to fill me in on that deal. I did pick up one to see if that helps out some. $13 shipped. Not a bad deal.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Rezzin wrote:Yeah Lars called me to fill me in on that deal. I did pick up one to see if that helps out some. $13 shipped. Not a bad deal.
You'll have to change out the inlet fitting to work with a standard LP tank but no biggie since you already have one.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Uhh, oops. Hope that's not too hard to do.