stainless steel pot question

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

huntfisher

stainless steel pot question

Post by huntfisher »

THe craigs list ad states that this is stainless steel but it matches the company's aluminum model. So, can any of you tell if this is aluminum.

brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Looks to be aluminum. Most stainless handles are welded on, not bolted through. Supposedly there is no problem with aluminum kettles, but I would stick with stainless as that is what the food and beverage industries use (and probably for good reason).

Cheers!
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

thanks, she was selling it at stainless steel prices.
cityevader

Post by cityevader »

Does a magnet stick to it? Stainles steel has some iron in it, but not much, so a strong magnet would be best to try. If it doesn't stick at all, it's aluminum. If there is some pull (might be weak) I'd say stainless.
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

My cheap SS pot has bolted on handles. And that one looks a lot smoother and nicer than my aluminum pot.
Kevin
PMR
Pro Brewer

Post by PMR »

Actually high quality 304/316 stainless shouldn't react with a magnet. That's one of the low budget tests to see whether a "stainless" piece is worth purchasing.
pt

Post by pt »

Do they usually stamp the grade of SS on the outside surface of the pot?

List of different grades:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_ ... eel_grades
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

it probably was aluminum since a newer polarware model with exact digits except letter, had the same look as this one. I won the bid, but the buyer also thought that i was right, so I did not have to purchase. I bought this for $90 including shipping. 60,000 BTU and 7.5 gallon stainless steel. It usualy sells for 170 at Bass Pro shop.

[/img]
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

the pots on the burner are stainless in that photo. the smaller pot on the ground with food in it looks like aluminum and seems to match your original photo. Aluminum kettles appear "spun" or "turned" where stainless has a mirror finish...

Looks like you are good to go!

Cheers!