Better Bottle aging question

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

ScottK

Better Bottle aging question

Post by ScottK »

I just finished an apfelwein that was in a Better Bottle for 5+ years. My concern is if the Better Bottle retains any of the flavors/scents from the cider being in there so long. After a good PBW cleaning there is no trace of the cider. Everything I've looked up only talks about the permeability concerns with aging, but nothing about retention of flavors. Has anyone had any experience aging beer/cider/mead in a Better Bottle?
I have not yet begun to defile myself.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Better Bottle aging question

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I have never left anything in the Better Bottle that long, but if it looks clean and smells clean, then I would say it is fine to use again. See what happens when you only brew every five years?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I've not aged anything that long in anything. However, I do wonder if there was any yeast sediment in there, as I did have a mead in a keg for a year, and it must have had some yeast in suspension still .. and it ruined the flavor of the mead.

Aside from that, a couple of good cleanings, and I would think the bottle is good to go! You can always ferment a blonde ale or something light in there next, just to see if you get any cidery aroma/flavor.
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

Thanks guys. My thought was to brew something with a darker roast to mask any flavors that might come out the first time. By the second time I'm guessing it will be fine. Touché Brad!
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

ScottK wrote:Thanks guys. My thought was to brew something with a darker roast to mask any flavors that might come out the first time. By the second time I'm guessing it will be fine. Touché Brad!
Yeah man, I should be able to come by some time in 2020 when you brew that dark beer.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

By 2020 did you mean, 8:20? The brown porter is fermenting away as we speak!
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

Breaking in the Grainfather
Breaking in the Grainfather
IMG_20170226_133749.jpg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 4019 times