Some updates to my fermentation chiller

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

Some updates to my fermentation chiller

Post by backyard brewer »

I've been making some small updates to my fermentation/glycol chiller. Mostly relating to the thermostats/temp control circuits. First I found some pretty neat little 3-wire LED's that have both a blue and a red LED in the same 5mm package. So I'm adding 2 LED's per converted thermostat that'll allow me to tell at a glance if the thermostat is in heating or cooling mode and a second LED to tell me if it's actually heating or cooling at that moment. That'll be kind of cool. I'm also adding jacks and plugs so the thermistor is detachable and not hard wired into the thermostat.

Second I want to get away from the large open frame HVAC contactors I've been using as relays to control the pumps. They are the size of a small transformer themselves and I'm not hip on having such an open frame. I used them because they work on 24VAC and the thermostat is designed to control them native. Anyway, I'm switching to small 24VDC relays that are very small, I can fit almost eight of them in the space of a single contactor. The thermostats will control them fine, the only downside is that the thermostats can run themselves off the 24vac so I won't have that option anymore and they'll have to run off of the batteries. I guess I could always get a 3VDC regulator and wire them up that way.

I never finished the wiring or installation of components required to run the heaters on the fermenters, so once I'm done with this little project I'll be able to switch from heat to cool with just a couple quick switch flips and be able to heat or cool either fermenter independent of one another. Right now I have to use my other Ranco controller to control them in heat mode.

Everything should be much cleaner when I'm done.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Damn Derrin...when are we having a brew day at your place? I want to see this setup, it sounds really impressive.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Not sure when I'll be brewing again, certainely not until next year, but shit, you're right up the street if you're in Tustin. You're welcome to stop by, have a beer and shoot the shit. I'll be in Michigan this week though.

I like beer a lot, but if it weren't for the gadgets I'd have no use for this hobby!