Ball Valve in Kettle/Do you have a drill?

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Luckbad

Ball Valve in Kettle/Do you have a drill?

Post by Luckbad »

Weird subject, eh?

So I'm thinking I might finally mod my kettle to include a ball valve. I've been tired of siphoning wort for a while and just never pulled the trigger.

Two questions:

1) Does anyone have any specific recommendations regarding ball valves? I was thinking of getting a weldless setup with a Blichmann valve.

2) Does anyone have the equipment needed to actually install it? Mostly, a 7/8 step drill bit. I'm cheap and would prefer not to buy one for this purpose alone.

Thanks!
lexuschris

Re: Ball Valve in Kettle/Do you have a drill?

Post by lexuschris »

Brewer's hardware has both:

a weldless bulkhead fitting

a full port ball valve

I think I might have a step bit around here somewhere... I will look for it this weekend. I live in Irvine..
--LexusChris

p.s. your system is very similar to what I was using for my first few years of all-grain: cooler MLT, copper tube IWC, propane burner stand, etc.
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I don't have a step bit, but I have a 7/8" bi-metal hole saw with the arbor:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-7- ... /202327743
Brad
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Before you do anything at least talk with Derrin (Backyard Brewer). Aside from being very knowledgeable and experienced with kettle / pot mods oh yes, and having a very successful brewing hardware business <grin>, he is just one of the many great guys you'll meet in BC.

His recommendation on what avenue to take is money in the bank!

Dan
SamIam

Post by SamIam »

I think a 1/2" knockout punch is the best way to do this. I don't have one but I think a few others may. As Dan mentioned definitely talk to Derrin first.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"
~Frank Sinatra
Luckbad

Post by Luckbad »

Thanks guys! Yeah, I've been brewing with no valve on my kettle for more than 10 years. Maybe it's time I do something about that.

Just had a brew day (huzzah)! I actually bought a new 1/2" auto siphon and hated it. The thing was far worse than the 3/8" version I've had for years (but that one is broken). Hard to get a siphon going and the little hanger thing I have for the other one doesn't fit on this one (oversight on my part).

The day went well overall. My gravity was way off though. I think I might have been screwed by Brewmaster's Warehouse on the grain bill because everything else went according to plan. I calibrated my pH meter before brewing and I was within 0.02 of 5.2 for both of the readings I took at different times, I had my sparge water pH at 5.5, I mashed out and got it to 168, basically did everything as I always do. I was expecting 10.63 Plato out of the mash tun and got 8.1.

I basically said "screw it" and went for a more bitter beer (didn't have need for the hops I used later) rather than correcting the gravity by boiling longer. To be honest, I was hoping my refractometer was off, but I decided to check the gravity post-boil against three different hydrometers and all were virtually the same reading.

Ah well, rust and all that. I'll get my grain from MoreBeer or Addison Homebrew next time.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I have a couple Harbor Frieght step bits that don't get used often (and you are welcome tI borrow). But, if you can do it with a knock out it wil be cleaner.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Luckbad wrote:Just had a brew day (huzzah)! I actually bought a new 1/2" auto siphon and hated it. The thing was far worse than the 3/8" version I've had for years (but that one is broken). Hard to get a siphon going and the little hanger thing I have for the other one doesn't fit on this one (oversight on my part).
Yeah, I can't stand autosiphons. And after breaking a bunch of racking canes, I ended up buying a 1/2" SS racking cane from morebeer a few years ago. Made things a LOT easier.

It gets very little use any more as I use pumps during brewday and use CO2 to push beer out of the fermenter and into the kegs, but when I do need to rack something, it's WAY nicer than trying to keep an autosiphon flowing.
Brad
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

Some thoughts on drilling stainless
S/S will harden if drilled too fast
Go slow and use lots of water to cool
Step drills will get job done, but it takes awhile...and bit will be dull when finished

All else fails, i have punches that work very well in s/s...pm me for contact info
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
Maltose Parrot

Post by Maltose Parrot »

I have the knockout punch. It makes a hole a bit bigger than I think you want, I've had some minor drips. I also have the Step bit, which seemed to work well when I installed the sight glass. I'd almost recommend using the step drill, but you are welcome to use both.
Luckbad

Post by Luckbad »

Journeyed up to Brewers Hardware today with my brewing assistant (who dropped a deuce after we arrived) and got my kettle upgraded with a valve and pickup tube. Thanks guys!
Marek the Brewing Assistant
Marek the Brewing Assistant
marek_the_brew_assistant.jpg (128.93 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
Kettle Exterior
Kettle Exterior
kettle_exterior.jpg (89.43 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
Kettle Interior
Kettle Interior
kettle_interior.jpg (55.84 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Like the curved pick-up tube and the valve placement under the handle.... makes it easier to carry around full on brewday! :)
:thumbup:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields