How to make a Kegerator

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

dougharold

How to make a Kegerator

Post by dougharold »

First of all I apologize if this topic may have been addressed in the past, having issues navigating the search.

I have a small Whirlpool fridge that I would like to convert to a kegerator. Does anyone have any experience with this? The fridge has an upper freezer and will hold 2corny kegs....barely.

At the meeting I attended a couple of weeks ago, I spoke with a few people who have been in the kegerator business for a while so hoping someone can share some lessons learned. Appreciate the help.

Doug
lexuschris

Re: How to make a Kegerator

Post by lexuschris »

Hey Doug!

Quite a few of us have gone through the process of building our own kegerator. Some have done more than just one. I'm sure you'll get some great advice from this thread!

I've only done one and it was on a Sanyo 4912, which is a countertop height compact fridge, no freezer. I found dozens of youtube videos on the conversion, and learned a lot from them. I do recommend searching through those kind of videos, as they talk about most of the issues of the conversion. Hopefully, somebody posted one about your particular model fridge.

When choosing a fridge, you want to be sure there is some extra room above the height of the corney... at least a few inches. The ball-lock connectors add a little bit, and then you'll also have room for the hoses.

If you are plannign to put a tower-tap on top, then you'll likely want a model that does not have a freezer unit in the top section. If you are goind for the door, then not as much a worry.

Before drilling any holes in a refridgerator, be sure to learn, find, understand where the cooling coils are located. Some models you can see/feel them readily. Others, you may find the info in the manual. Sometimes, you need to do the baking-powder/rubbing alcohol test to find them.

Anyways, post us a picture of your fridge and/or a model number, and whether you plan on a door tap, or a tower tap. :)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
dhempy

Re: How to make a Kegerator

Post by dhempy »

Hey Doug:

Best of luck with your project. I've converted a freezer (building a collar etc) but not done a fridge.

However, I did steal a bunch of knowledge from a former BC member (tnlandsailor). A PDF of his project can be found here. Great stuff .. including pics and more importantly, a parts list!

Enjoy

Dan