Picobrew Zymatic

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

lexuschris

Picobrew Zymatic

Post by lexuschris »

Presented without comment...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/2/47956 ... er-brewing

--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Picobrew Zymatic

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Wow. For guys that seem really smart, this is a really dumb idea. The FAQ section of their Kickstarter page has the following answer to the question, Where does the boil happen?
We usually run the fluid just below boiling temperature. The near boiling occurs in the heat exchanger, adjunct compartments and keg.Through testing we have found that there is nothing magical about boiling- it’s just traditional since beer was invented a long time before thermometers and process controls. In a conventional homebrew system, boiling is important since the temperature control is not as precise- keeping the entrie kettle at 208° steadily for an hour is impossible for most home brew systems. Also in home brew systems, a vigorous boil ensures mixing of the brew kettle. In the Zymatic™, this mixing is done by circulating the wort. We have run extensive testing for hops extraction, off flavors and clarity, and have found no detraction from running slightly less than boil.
They are right, keeping the kettle at 208F for an hour would be hard for most home brew setups, but keeping it at 212F for an hour is very easy. What a stupid argument. The boil is essential to making beer and they just eliminated it. There is really no way to brew a clear and clean tasting beer without a boil. This just blows my mind.

Nothing magical about boiling? Please. Boiling coagulates proteins in the wort, isomerizes hop alpha acids, boils off volatile compounds like SMS, develops flavors, and sanitizes the wort. No magic, just basic brewing knowledge. Idiots.

I didn't read most of the other FAQ section, because I had heard enough. This is quite possibly one of the worst ideas ever. They should have taken their resources and figured out how to create potable water in third world countries.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

It's a snazzy sounding device, but I agree with Brad.

I'm amazed that it has become funded so quickly. It makes me wonder if they are having sponsers "donate" to boost publicity. Normally I'm not so paranoid about kickstarters, but they sold out of their first run of them (25 units for 1300) in less than a couple hours. Then sold out of the next run (75 units for $1400) within a day.

Who impulse buys things like this? I feel bad for nano breweries they're marketing to who have purchased it for a pilot system.

Am I overreacting or is this thing terrible?
-Curtis

EDIT: Also you ferment and serve out of the 2.5 gallon keg. Sounds gross. :wtf:
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I think 208 is probably sufficient, water boils at 203 in Denver and they seem to be able to make good beer there. I don't know if it would make a difference for break formation, etc without the actual boiling motion in the kettle.

How do you add yeast nutrient? Finings?

I just don't understand who would buy this thing. It seems like it's going for the Mr. Beer market of people who don't currently brew, but who in that market is spending $1500? And once you do, if you end up liking the hobby aren't you pissed off when you realize you could have had a better setup with a cooler and a turkey fryer?
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

It is the boiling motion that causes the proteins to bang into each other and create globs big enough to fall out of solution after the boil.

You do bring up a good point about boiling at higher altitudes though. If someone in Denver were to use this machine, it could explode from the steam vapor that is created at temps above 203. I wonder if they have thought of that?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
jward

Post by jward »

brahn wrote:I think 208 is probably sufficient, water boils at 203 in Denver and they seem to be able to make good beer there
I was wondering if 208 would be OK. Also, how good will the device be at maintaining 208 in Denver without boiling? Unless that shiny microwave looking thing is a pressure vessel too I would expect trouble....