Stainless Steel Growler $23~

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

ocluke

Re: Stainless Steel Growler $23~

Post by ocluke »

dhempy wrote:That was my thought ...

now I just need to find a supply of stainless schrader stems/valves.

Dan
I got you covered, Dan.
Upside: they're only $0.54-0.57 each.
Downside: you have to buy 1000 of them.
Silver lining: I'd buy a few off of you, so you'd only have to buy 997 of them!
Luke

MetaBrewing - A homebrewing blog documenting experiments with equipment, processes, recipes, hops, wild yeast, and whatever else happens to sneak its way in.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

So, an update.

I filled two growlers of IPA for consumption up at Lake Arrowhead last Wednesday evening. These were left in the fridge overnight, packed in a cooler with ice, and driven up the mountain Thursday around midday. That night, one growler was consumed, but Dustin and I ended up drinking other beer for the remainder of the weekend. So growler #2 remained in the cooler all weekend, with sporadic ice additions to keep the rest of the beer in the cooler cold. It was definitely subjected to temp swings, though. Then, the beer was driven back down the mountain and put into my beer fridge on Sunday, where it sat until last night, at which point I opened it to drink while finishing off the boil on my brew session.

Both growlers retained carbonation quite well. I have no issue with the carb levels seen on either.

One thing I would say is that I pretty well torqued down the lids when I filled them, to the point that opening the growlers was a bit of a task. So I don't know if a less-tight lid would be less likely to hold carbonation.
Brad
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Thanks for the update! Good to hear the carbonation kept well!

I just got mine in the mail yesterday. I ordered 1 full size growler, and one half size for those smaller gatherings. They came from Amazon in a carbord box, with some inflated plastic bags for padding. Bottles were in good shape... no dings, no scratches.

I'm out on vacation for a week, so will have to give them a proper breaking in later on... Thanks again for the tips!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I've got a pair of 'em on the way and I found some chrome valve stems ... so I'll be doing the mod and seeing how it goes. Will keep you all posted.

Luke. Tell you what you buy the 1000 and I'll buy 20 from you. Hell I'll make it 40!

Seriously, any chance of getting them in a smaller lot .. say around 100?

Dan
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

OK .. I modded one of my growler lids. Right now it is holding 25psi ... will check again tomorrow.

The mod was relatively simple ... drill out / break off the circular pin on the lid holding the retaining ring. You'll see a hollow area around 1/4" .. drill this through top / and bottom. I then used step drills ... from the bottom to the diameter of the valve stem, from the top big enough to get a deep socket through (I used a very wide step drill for this so as to NOT change the bottom diameter). Clean up the holes with a utility knife or other and put in the valve stem. I'll post more details if anyone is interested. Just let me know.
GrowlerMod_1.jpg
Dan
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Still holding 18 psi this afternoon. Will wait and take a reading after one more day ... but so far it looks like a winner.

Dan
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

dhempy wrote:Still holding 18 psi this afternoon. Will wait and take a reading after one more day ... but so far it looks like a winner.

Dan
That looks sweet. I might have to mod mine. Homebrewfinds has a mini CO2 tank you might be able to use for pressurizing it on the go.
http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2013/08/ha ... ipped.html
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Thanks for that tip ... might just have to get me one of those!
EDIT: After reading the reviews on Amazon I probably WON'T be getting one that uses the CO2 bombs ... think I'll look for a paintball setup.

FWIW, I just checked the pressure again and it is still holding 10 PSI ...

I'm going to be modding my other one this weekend.

Dan