HERMS Setup..

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Stuntman

HERMS Setup..

Post by Stuntman »

I know.. there are a bazillion posts about this if I Google it.. I have.. but it is like putting together a jigsaw puzzle with each piece existing in a separate room! Here is my situation, and maybe, some helpful brewer with enough time on his/her hands can jump in and help me out? My head hurts just trying to fully understand the options and work towards a solution. SO here goes.

I just acquired 3 kegs with one already having the top cut to work as a kettle. The other two will need to have the tops cut likewise.. that part I DO understand. :)

I'd like to setup a HERMS system. I have access to controllers and temperature sensors and such, but the equipment and placement of the equipment is what is confusing me. I don't want to drill into those keg/kettles in the wrong places or too often etc..

I use propane as my heat source.. and have only the one burner. I was thinking that I could heat the HLT to near Strike temperature via propane, then switch to a 110v heating element to reach final strike temp... then do the same to maintain mash temp? I could monitor the temp of the wort as it re-enters the mash tun from the heat exchanger in the HLT... in this way I could do a continuous recirculation.

Seems pretty straight forward? Is there something I'm missing?

I guess what I'd need to do then is.

1) put a bulkhead into the MLT at the bottom, connected to the false bottoms pickup tube.
2) connect the MLT to a pump and the pump to a bulkhead on the HLT
3) connect the heat exchanger (wort chiller) to the internal bulkhead fittings
4) connect HLT back to top of MLT and monitor temperature of returned wort

If wort returned temp is too low, then turn on electric heating element until the correct temperature is reached...

If this sounds reasonable, can anybody suggest a way to install an electric heating element into the HLT? Should I punch it into the HLT or is there a better way to install it?

Thank you!!!
DrDually

Re: HERMS Setup..

Post by DrDually »

Stuntman
I built a HERMS system about 2 years ago and found some interesting issues
Where are you located? PM me and perhaps we can meet at my place so you can see what I have done
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Look up the Sabco Brew Magic for ideas. I have one and it monitors the temperature of the wort LEAVING the kettle. Temperature into the kettle needs to be much higher to make an impact on that large of a volume. Also, you may want to talk to Derrin at Brewers Hardware in HB. He sells a HERMS tube and some controller equipment.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Tim - you're talking about RIMS. He's asking about HERMS.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Ah shoot, that wasn't the first time I've confused those.
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

maltbarley wrote: Also, you may want to talk to Derrin at Brewers Hardware in HB. He sells a HERMS tube and some controller equipment.
+1
Derrin only manufactures and carries top of the line brew hardware
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I'm happy to talk HERMS as well as both of the systems I've built were based on HERMS. Feel free to PM me as well.

As far as burners go my first system had two .. one for the HLT and one for the Boil. So it is feasible to do HLT/MASH Tun with one burner. Between them I had a Chillus Convolutus for a heat exchanger and two pumps ... one pump pumped hot liquor (+12 degrees to mash temp worked well for me) one direction, and the other pump moved wort in the other direction. I had a single Ranco control the HLT gas valve (for the burner) AND the HLT pump (recircing while heating) AND a second Ranco control the Mash Pump AND the HLT pump (using relays to allow both Rancos to control the HLT pump).

In terms of configuring your vessels, it sounds like you're planning to have your coil immersed in the HLT .. that is the way I'm currently configured. I agree that monitoring temps of wort at the point of return is a good idea (again that is what I presently do) in addition to the MT thermowell. You will discover that you need to move the water in the HLT during the heat exchange. My current HLT has a tangential inlet and I run the HLT pump during HLT heating AND MT temp maintenance. This helps to keep the HLT water non stratified and relatively constant during heat exchange ... I can see a pretty big difference in heat exchange efficiency with moving fluid and it is easier to maintain constant temp.

+1 to what the others have said about chatting with Derrin. Not that any of the other responders are slouches ... but Derrin should be on your list of folks to consult (and he does have the best parts for the DIY crowd)!

Dan