March/Chugger pump parts

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

DrDually

March/Chugger pump parts

Post by DrDually »

Anyone have a local supplier for the Teflon thrust washer (0809-0043-1000) and backing plate O ring (0809-0027-1000) for these pumps?

I have found on in NC with $8.00 shipping and may have to order from them

McMaster-Carr carries the silicon O ring, but not the Teflon washer

If you need some also, PM me and I would be happy to order additonal parts from NC vendor
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
JonW
Site Admin

Re: March/Chugger pump parts

Post by JonW »

Derrin is carrying the chugger pumps now. Might want to see if he has parts also. I just stripped my pumps down last weekend and had to replace the thrust washers as they had disintegrated.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Umm...what is a thrust washer and do I really want to know?
;)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

It's a white teflon washer that sits on the shaft between the impeller and the pump head. They wear out over time and can be a cause of the impeller stopping more often due to friction - which was my case.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Interesting. I have been brewing on my current system since 2008 and I have never dismantled my March pumps and I haven't had any issues with them. Now, I am afraid to take them apart. Sounds like work.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:Interesting. I have been brewing on my current system since 2008 and I have never dismantled my March pumps and I haven't had any issues with them. Now, I am afraid to take them apart. Sounds like work.
Taking the pump apart is very easy...you will be surpirzed at the amount of gunk that collects in the housing. While you are cleaning pump, disassemble any ball valves you have...yes more gunk in there also

I looked at Derrin's site and he has pumps and heads, but did not see O rings or thrust washers

If anyone is unsure about pump disassembly, contact me and I will be happy to show you how easy it really can be...
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

One of these days, I will take mine apart. I spend almost as much time cleaning as I do brewing (ask anyone that's been to one of my brew days) and I still have never felt the need to take my pumps apart. But, now I am curious and will have to do it or I won't be able to sleep at night. I am guessing the pump I use for wort (the other is just for water) is pretty clean since I recirculate cleaner through it for at least 30 minutes after each brew day.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

I would also send clear water thru pumps after brewing, but found lots of yucky stuff anyway
If even a very small amount of wort remains, bacteria can and will grow
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

DrDually wrote:
BrewMasterBrad wrote:Interesting. I have been brewing on my current system since 2008 and I have never dismantled my March pumps and I haven't had any issues with them. Now, I am afraid to take them apart. Sounds like work.
Taking the pump apart is very easy...you will be surpirzed at the amount of gunk that collects in the housing. While you are cleaning pump, disassemble any ball valves you have...yes more gunk in there also

I looked at Derrin's site and he has pumps and heads, but did not see O rings or thrust washers

If anyone is unsure about pump disassembly, contact me and I will be happy to show you how easy it really can be...
I had a free day today and already a brew in the fermenter, so I decided to do some overdue maintenance on my brewery.

I took apart my Chugger pump heads, all the way down to the impellers. I was impressed with how clean everything turned out to be, although the wort side pump did have a little build up here and there. The dis-assembly was very easy, and a small bristle brush made good work on the intake tubes. I used Oxyclean on all my scrub down today.

I also took apart my 2 part ball valve for the recirc inlet port on my mash tun. I've never tried taking that apart before. When I removed the nut below the valve arm, I found some gunk in that reservoir. The main through channel was very clean, but stuff can get behind the ball and down near the nut. I had no idea that the ball would actually pop out of the valve (and roll across the floor :lol: ). Everything got a good scrubbing and reassembled without issue.

As my two corney kegs were going through the Mark's Keg Washer, I decided to remove my NPT thermometers from the HLT, MT & BK for a good cleaning. There was some organic build-up on the inside end of those for sure! After removing the pipe tape from both sides, and scrubbing Oxyclean with the bristle brush, I re-taped the thermometers put it all back together.

I also managed to oil my Chugger pump motors, and Oxyclean my hop picking bins. A rather productive day getting the brewery all up to snuff... makes me want to brew tomorrow! :)

:cheers:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields