Plastic etching

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

lexuschris

Plastic etching

Post by lexuschris »

I've had the plastic bowl that came with my electronic scale for 3 years now. I use it to measure hops, grains, water salts, etc. Never had much problem with it. I wipe it down with paper towels between ingredients during the brewday, and rinse & dry it afterwards. It still looks like new ... until this past Sunday.

When I was washing it after the brewday was over, I noticed the bottom was etched, or otherwise rough & opaque. Normally, it is smooth to the touch plastic. Now, it is rough and slightly cloudy. I cannot figure out what may have happened to it. It is definitely an effect to the inside of the bowl surface, and not the outside, so I rule out 'setting down on a hot surface' kind of damage.

Any thoughts?

I finished my brewday with the gruit, so used it to measure out Yarrow, Meadowsweet, Sweet Gale, Marsh Rosemary & Muscavado sugar. Earlier in the day, I used it to measure hops, CaCl & grains.

Final thought, I did cut some fresh flowering Yarrow from my garden and throw it in the bowl at one point to weigh it. I thought it might have been the sap or something. However, I have rinsed, scrubbed and soaked in OxiClean .. no change. It really seems like the plastic has been etched.

Should be a heady gruit!
8)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
DrDually

Re: Plastic etching

Post by DrDually »

Sounda like someone used it to mix batter.
Good reason to upgrade to stainless steel
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch