Stainless Steel Carboys

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

lexuschris

Stainless Steel Carboys

Post by lexuschris »

The one thing I wish I could do with my Sanke fermenter ... reach inside and give it a good scrub!

Check out these SS carboys from Deep Wood Brew Products..
http://www.dwbrewproducts.com/shop/inde ... rboys-c-16

I just wish they had a 13-15 gallon version. I'm brewing 11-gal batches now, so I can fill 2 corny's when I'm done... I need a little headspace in there too!
--LexusChris

p.s. they also have SS growlers & bottles.... coolio! K:-)
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
dhempy

Re: Stainless Steel Carboys

Post by dhempy »

That pricepoint makes them more attractive than conicals but you're right, a 31-14 gallon size would be preferred for 10 -11 gallon batches.

Dan
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Just search for stainless milk cans.

These guys have a 13 gallon one that looks pretty nice and can accept a sanke fermenter fitting (tri-clover) on top: http://www.milehidistilling.com/product ... -lids.html

It says the 13 gallon one is out of stock, but they show that they have them with their distiller kits, so it may be worth a call.
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

Try this link http://www.carboycleaner.com/
This scrubber works very well...lay sanke on side with some soap and run drill back and forth
If anyone is interested, PM me fot address and you can see mine in action
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

DrDually wrote:Try this link http://www.carboycleaner.com/
This scrubber works very well...lay sanke on side with some soap and run drill back and forth
If anyone is interested, PM me fot address and you can see mine in action
This is what I do. I do keep it vertical during this process and us PBW instead of soap, but either way I think it gets nice and clean by the time I'm done.

Oh, and BTW one of the advantages of the Sanke is that you can put 2-3 gallons of water in it, toss it on a burner, and let it sterilize by boiling that water inside. That'll make up for any cleaning deficiencies.

I think the Sanke with the Brewer's Hardware adapter so that you have a built-in racking cane (and can transfer under pressure) is about as good as you'll get without going to a conical.

However, if you really want to go a different route, people have welded Corny lids onto the top of Sanke kegs for use as fermenters, which would give you a better cleaning port.
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I have a carboy cleaner too and I really like it. However, I haven't used it for the past few cleaning/brewing cycles since I started using this CIP ball in conjunction with a Mark's Keg Washer. Works great. I just replace the drilled cap on the keg washer with the CIP ball and let it run with hot oxygen cleaner for about 20 minutes.

I bought a couple 6 gallon Better Bottles at Northern Brewer a while back when they were having a two for one sale. I plan to use them for split batches for using different yeasts or dry hopping. When I get a chance, I will use the CIP ball on one of the better bottles and get a video of the cleaning rig in action.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:I have a carboy cleaner too and I really like it. However, I haven't used it for the past few cleaning/brewing cycles since I started using this CIP ball in conjunction with a Mark's Keg Washer. Works great. I just replace the drilled cap on the keg washer with the CIP ball and let it run with hot oxygen cleaner for about 20 minutes.
Hmm... Looks like a nice clean solution, and one that I can use for cornies as well... I assume it has no problems holding the full weight of a Sanke?
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Weight is not an issue. I remove the plastic piece that the cornies rest on so the Sanke just rests on the rim of the basin.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Wow, some great ideas in this thread. As much as I *believe* my sanke is clean, the fact that I cannot see or touch the inside just always make me nevous. Albeit, I've had good batches each time I've used it.

I like the 13 gallon Distiller's keg idea ... that seems pretty cool.

I wrote to the Dark Brew guys, and their 10-gallon, is a tight 10-gallon .. no head space. He usually puts 9.5 gal in that fermenter. He suggested 2 of the 7 gallong SS carboys to take an 11-gal batch.

I also like Brad's combo of Mark's Keg Washer and the CIP ball.... that seems like an awesome combo!
:)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
StarRaptor

Post by StarRaptor »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:I have a carboy cleaner too and I really like it. However, I haven't used it for the past few cleaning/brewing cycles since I started using this CIP ball in conjunction with a Mark's Keg Washer. Works great. I just replace the drilled cap on the keg washer with the CIP ball and let it run with hot oxygen cleaner for about 20 minutes.
That's a great idea

:cheers:
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I just picked up the Mark's Keg Washer so I can do the same thing Brad's doing. Now I just need to get one of those CIP balls.
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

brahn wrote:I just picked up the Mark's Keg Washer so I can do the same thing Brad's doing. Now I just need to get one of those CIP balls.
See Derrin at Brewers Hardware

If anyone is interested in viewing the inside of their keg, contact me to use a bore scope with LCD display.
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Next up: Kolsch
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I have to agree with Brad, I've used this setup now for both corny and sanke kegs and it works really well. You can also use it for sanitizing. I would recommend using sani-clean or iodophor rather than star san. :)
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Dammit.

Now that I've seen this setup in action at Brent's brew day yesterday, I'm going to have to buy it.

This damn internet thing just keeps costing me money!
Brad
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

Stainless steel carboys are definitly the way to go. Only problem, as you well know, is keeping the inside clean.
Here is my solution...add a corny keg lid
BTW, I have some 6.5 gallon carboys for sale
Attachments
Completed fermenter with tri-clover thermo well and blow off tube from Brewers Hardware
Completed fermenter with tri-clover thermo well and blow off tube from Brewers Hardware
DSCF0595.JPG (109.86 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
Lid fits properly
Lid fits properly
DSCF0593.JPG (110.2 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
Cut the opening
Cut the opening
DSCF0594.JPG (109.68 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net