Beersmith, Promash, Beer Tools

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

dhempy

Beersmith, Promash, Beer Tools

Post by dhempy »

Have we had the discussion (pros / cons / comparisons) regarding these software tools? I have both ProMash 1.8A and Beersmith (1.4 build 038). At the present moment, my upgrade choices are BS 2.1 or Beertools (since ProMash isn't being updated) and I'm trying to decide which. I "grew up" with ProMash and I am most familiar with that.

The reason I'm asking is that I'd like for the tool to use my equipment data when calculating volumes and strike temp. Right now, I have to do that manually.

For example: Beersmith tells me that for a 1.3 ratio and 11.25 lbs I need 14.63 qts .. OK but I have a 1 gallon dead space so I need 18.63 qts ... not so bad but for a 154 degree strike temp at 14.63 qts, strike water temp is 165.5, at 18.63 qts it is 163. The data is all there .. why do I have to adjust for it? OK OK ... I know that these are small adjustments and probably beyond the accuracy of my measurement of volume and temp ... but I do them anyway and would like for the software to automate that for me. With my previous system and Promash, I was usually able to hit strike temps pretty well ... but I haven't had much success with BS and my new system yet.

I know that a bunch of you are using BS 2.1 .... anyone using Beer Tools? Is BT worth looking at? Anyone still using ProMash? Other likes / dislikes, comments? FWIW, both BT and BS have Linux versions and IIRC, one of them is working on a tablet / phone version.

Dan
bwarbiany

Re: Beersmith, Promash, Beer Tools

Post by bwarbiany »

Seems like Beersmith 2 makes those adjustments on the mash. I've assumed 5 qts dead space in the mash tun, and it spits out all its calculations based on that number, and I've been pretty dead on with mash temps (as long as I accurately input mash tun temp & grain temp).

I've never used Beertools and have only played with Promash once or twice many years ago, so I can't give a comparison...
Brad
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I started on Beersmith 1.4 and upgraded to v2 this year. It seems to have lots of ways to customize your equipment setup for those kinds of losses like dead space. I think you can get the v2 with a free trial. They treat it as a seperate product from 1.4, so they can both live simultaneously on your PC. One does not replace the other...
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Time to get one of those sweet new retina Macbook Pro's and switch to Beer Alchemy! :)