Vacuum Sealer Food Saver for Hops

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Grande69

Vacuum Sealer Food Saver for Hops

Post by Grande69 »

I'm looking for a vacuum sealer to use when storing hops.

I saw this video, ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9dzaeC0 ... re=related )and thought that the tool might have a different use. I remember someone not being able to do a side seal using the FoodSaver bags , because the channels went the wrong way. Would this work around that limitation?

I was looking at different types of vacuum sealers. I liked the Sorbent brand (similar to the Sinbo), as it looked like you could use ANY type of bags, even re-sealing commercial bags of food or what not. The unit was a bit more pricey, and the bags were cheaper (as well as not being limited to a brand specific refill).

As long as this tool works like it looks, as little as I'll probably use it, the Food Saver unit (I saw one for $25) looks like my best bet.

Any comments or other ideas?
California - Where the ground moves and the traffic doesn't.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Vacuum Sealer Food Saver for Hops

Post by JonW »

The side seal on the Foodsaver bags is not an issue - you're supposed to open them from the top/bottom anyways.

Check out Ebay for the Foodsaver Mini. There are several there that are ending in the next couple of days that are pretty cheap.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Not sure what the 'side seal' issue is, but I've been using a Food Saver for the Sedona hops and it has been a pretty good little unit, especially for the price.

You do need to leave enough leader space on the bag to get a good solid seal, so don't be cheap and try to save yourself that extra 1/2" on every bag....
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Chris, the "side seal" issue is that you can't open a Foodsaver bag on the side and reseal it. The channels on the bag allow air to be pulled out from the top or bottom, but trying to reseal from the side will cause the channels to block the air suction. The simple solution is to not cut open the bag on the side.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

That seems pretty straightforward ...
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

lexuschris wrote: You do need to leave enough leader space on the bag to get a good solid seal, so don't be cheap and try to save yourself that extra 1/2" on every bag....
--LexusChris
I use one of these for hops too. One thing I do when I anticipate the need to reseal is to leave a bit more than necessary and try to seal towards the top (1-2"). I cut the bag right at the seal. As hops are used, there is more space to reseal but I discovered that a bit more can be useful. Typically for whole hops this isn't an issue, but when I've purchased hops by the pound it works well.

I also double seal my bags just because ... there is always enough room at the top to seal above the initial seal and I double seal the bottom when I make 'em up. Again, especially when I anticipate resealing.

Dan
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I also double seal my bags just because ...
Great idea. I occasionally have a bag that leaks.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
jward

Post by jward »

You guys shared all my FoodSaver hop bagging secrets....accept one. If you want to be really cheap you can make narrower bags by putting new side seals. I did this some to make smaller bags to hold pre weighed amounts for common recipies.
nevery

Post by nevery »

Heard a tip that you can cut off an inch of the foodsaver bags and then insert it a half an inch into a Mylar bag, leaving the other half-inch sticking out. Then seal it over the two bags with the foodsaver bag sticking past the "foam" seal to the vacuum chamber.

This only works with the lid type of savers, not the insert types. But that saves some money considering the bags are expensive and Mylar is cheaper.

Last Notable: BullMac's Citra's Last Stand, Fathead Head Hunter, Theakston Old Peculiar, Pliny the Elder! (Courtesy of bwarbiany), Bruery White Chocolate

Anticipating:

brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I tried this to reseal the foil bags from hops direct and it would vacuum fine but it wouldn't properly seal the bag. It may work fine with Mylar, but I was hoping I could just directly reseal the bags from hops direct.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I just put the foil Hops Direct bags inside a Foodsaver bag then seal it. I just keep trimming away the foil as I use the hops so I don't have to make too large of a Foodsaver bag. At a certain point, I just cut the label off the Hops Direct bag and put it with the hops in the Foodsaver bag when I re-seal.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I do exactly what Brad does (for Hops Direct bags). Much easier than trying to decipher my own hand writing on the Foodsaver bags. :mrgreen:
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:I just put the foil Hops Direct bags inside a Foodsaver bag then seal it. I just keep trimming away the foil as I use the hops so I don't have to make too large of a Foodsaver bag. At a certain point, I just cut the label off the Hops Direct bag and put it with the hops in the Foodsaver bag when I re-seal.
Exactly what I do... I'll seal the foodsaver bag, then on the next use, cut off *just* below the seal, use more hops, and reseal the same bag. Usually I go through hops in big enough chunks that I run out of hops before I run out of bag...
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I do the same thing for my hops from hops direct.

I just thought that I would try that mylar bag method with the hops direct bags to get a direct seal, but it didn't work.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

brahn wrote:I do the same thing for my hops from hops direct.
+1