Danby wine fridge

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Danby wine fridge

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

My wife's Danby wine fridge is no longer cooling. I can hear it click on and it is running, but the temp inside is only slightly cooler than the room temp. I know we have some frige experts out there. Is there a fix for this, or is it just a piece of crap that I should try to unload next weekend at our yard sale?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
Greywolf

Re: Danby wine fridge

Post by Greywolf »

My guess, without really know what's wrong with it, the cost of repairing the compressor and/or testing and re-charging the coolant would be close to the cost of a new fridge... unless someone here works in HVAC and could do the work for you....

How old is it? Is the warranty still valid?
GreyWolf27
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

It's a few years old and I'm sure it's well beyond the manufacturer's warranty period. We have some HVAC people in the club. I know BackyardBrewer has repaired some stuff in the past for other members. If he does not see this post, I might hit him up personally in the next few days. Just thought I would post it to the board in case someone ran into something similar in past.
jward

Post by jward »

What refrigerant is it using?
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

jward wrote:What refrigerant is it using?
Ummm......I don't know. I suppose it probably says on the fridge somewhere, but I will have to look at it and get back to you on that one.
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

If I had to guess, my money would be on R134.
GreyWolf27
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

It's probably not worth messing with. They are sealed systems that don't typically have service ports. If they end up leaking somewhere, you usually can't find it to repair it. The aluminum evaporator plate can't be repaired if it's punctured, a new compressor is probably more than a new unit. (unless it was one of the $400+ models)

JWard has been studying a lot of HVAC/R stuff, unless he wants to take a crack at it, I'd off load it.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Thanks for the feedback Derrin. It is a really nice unit - digital dual-zone temp control and holds about 30 bottles. I will try to take a closer look at it to see what I am dealing with.