To automate or not to automate?

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Lars wrote:Derrin, this is my point exactly. I've seen too many posts from brewers who want automation because they don't have their process down and think automation is the majic bullet.
Well then I guess we're on the same page. Really all you need to make good beer is a kettle and a bucket. More power to the brewer that wants some sort of electronics on their bucket, provided they know why.
Lars wrote:Derrin - do you still feel like you are in an experiment? If not, I can arrange it!
No, I'm good! I'd be afraid of somebody saying some key word to me in the future and I'd start clucking like a chicken or something.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Automation? I don't even have a damn pump!

Automation for me is being 250 lbs and having a 250 lb brew partner who can carry heavy shit when we work together!
Brad
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I guess I would fall into the "Derrin" camp ... but for me it was more about the "assembly" experience .. for I am a tinkerer. I got great pleasure from assembling everything and seeing it in action. For those that haven't seen my setup, I've got a digital HLT, I use a Chillus Convolutus as a heat exchanger (and then as a wort chiller) and my mash tun has a digital probe to control the Herms side of the equation. I've got a pair of pumps to push everything around as I have a "brutus like" stand.

But I still have to pick the ingredients, set the temps, stir, smell, make additions, generally watch what is going on while I'm in the process. I was so busy hosting at the club brewday last June, that I messed a couple of things up on the first batch. But the beer turned out OK, we all laughed and had a good time, and I discovered that I'm a sufficiently talented fool. I can say that having automation monitor and maintain my HLT temp is very convenient!!!

So I really don't give a rat's backside about whether or not you've got an automated system or not ... like has been said, it is about your knowledge of the process and how the tools you use impact the process (automated or not) that will determine how your beer turns out. Awards are being won with everything from a simple kettle / burner to relatively complex / automated systems. So the equipment doesn't seem to be the determining factor .. it is what the brewer is doing with that equipment.

Lars and Derrin ... I'm looking forward to watch each of you brew one of these days .. I'm sure I'll take something away form each of you. I already know that you both brew good beer. Likewise for Tim and Brad (on the new Brutus!)

Dan
backyard brewer

dhempy wrote:....Derrin ... I'm looking forward to watch each of you brew one of these days .. I'm sure I'll take something away form each of you. I already know that you both brew good beer.
Dan
Thanks Dan, you know you're welcome anytime.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

dhempy wrote:Awards are being won with everything from a simple kettle / burner to relatively complex / automated systems. So the equipment doesn't seem to be the determining factor .. it is what the brewer is doing with that equipment.
Hell, the president of the Maltose Falcons does 5 gallon all-grain batches on his kitchen stove.
Brad
jward

Post by jward »

Lars wrote:Tim, I'm not downing consistency. In fact I think consistency is great! If you have some equipment that helps you make consistent beer then super.
For me a chief goal of moving to a more automated system was easier consistency.
Oskaar wrote:Once you have a process and methodology for producing the mead you like, I recommend you make it over and over and over and over until you can produce the same mead every time.
Sage wisdom, brother. I get asked why I brew Hefe and Red Ale so often. Well aside from the fact that I freakin' like drinking those beers, I want to get my brewing down so that I can re-brew any beer starting with these beers.

Let me twist this topic a little. I think being able to consistently brew the same excellent beer is a higher standard then see what great beer I made this time. Brewing that one great beer that takes 6 ribbons in 6 comps is a wonderful thing, I admittedly envy, but is it really the same as winning 6 ribbons from same beer you made 6 times?
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

Brew Captain wrote:To each his own!

Sombody toss me another homebrew!

Buuurrrrrrrrpp!!

Is the time on the board an hour ahead or have I had too many tonight?

Cheers!
Robert, go to the profile tab up on the top of your screen and click it. Then scroll down to where the date/time is and you want to be in GMT -8 hours. You've obviously not changed from daylight savings time..... :roll: :roll: :wink:
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Thanks Lyn! I did not know I had to control that!

Sorry to be so glib on this subject guys, but there is always going to be two camps when it comes to adding technology to the brewing process. The final product is of course what matters most regardless on how you get there. I am as low tech as you can go and that is my brewing style. If somebody had a system where you literally only had to program the brew and stand back and watch it (or watch something else!) go then that would be cool to me, but I would have no interest in changing how I brew. I like the hands on approach and don't mind a long brew day as I enjoy every minute of it.

That said I would recommend that you automation guys always leave your system in a configuration such that you could brew "the old fashioned way" in case of a pump failure, power outage, etc.

Cheers!
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Brew Captain wrote:That said I would recommend that you automation guys always leave your system in a configuration such that you could brew "the old fashioned way" in case of a pump failure, power outage, etc.
No doubt. On a single tier system, if a pump fails you would have to do some serious improvisation. Maybe I should always keep an extra March pump around just in case. I'll see if one of my brew bitches wants to spring for that!!!

I think for a home brewer, a fully automated system would take the fun out of the brew day. If you forget to add a clarifier or forget to turn a pump on, or some shit like that, it just wouldn't be a memorable brew day.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
backyard brewer

Brew Captain wrote:That said I would recommend that you automation guys always leave your system in a configuration such that you could brew "the old fashioned way" in case of a pump failure, power outage, etc.
That's great advice and why I don't recommend automation to the non-tinkerer. I had to do some real quick re-plumbing when my gas valve failed. Turns out they need to be protected from the elements!
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Redundancy ... ahh sweet redundancy!

Dan
lars

Post by lars »

BrewMasterBrad wrote: Maybe I should always keep an extra March pump around just in case.
I actually have two "spare" pumps. I'll see just how spare they are after my brew this weekend.
Shut up and brew
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

I don't have any of that fancy stuff, but I have friends that I can boss around. That is just as fun as playing with gadgets.
Kevin
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

kevinham wrote:I don't have any of that fancy stuff, but I have friends that I can boss around. That is just as fun as playing with gadgets.
Brew-bitches are a form of automation and you should be ashamed. :lol:
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Wow .. .

Derrin .. I'm really impressed ... mechanical AND brew-bitch automation. Nice!

Dan