Grain Mills

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

grico

Grain Mills

Post by grico »

I am looking into milling my own grain. I figure my production has ramped up enough that I can justify buying bulk grain. I have started my research, but I wanted to throw the question out to the masses and find out experiences, thoughts, and with different systems and manufacturers.

Right now I am looking at the Barley Crusher and the Monster Mill 3 Roller. Any others I should look at?

Thoughts on 2 roller vs. 3 roller. I have just found that I have had a better eff. with More Beers 3 roller, but that could just be their grain as well.

Thanks for your input!
Gallons Brewed 2011: 85
Gallons Brewed 2012: 165
Greywolf

Re: Grain Mills

Post by Greywolf »

Not sure about other mills, as I have bought and have been using the Morebeer 2" mill. So far I have seen efficiencies over 80%
I haven't actually calculated it's time per pound, but if I had to guess, it is about 1 pound per minute... ish.
GreyWolf27
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Generally I think you'll be happy with either mill, and your efficiency will be dependent on how you set your gap more than number of rollers.
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

bwarbiany wrote:Generally I think you'll be happy with either mill, and your efficiency will be dependent on how you set your gap more than number of rollers.
+1

I've been using a non-adjustable JSP Maltmill for several years now and it's been great. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the mills out there designed for homebrewers.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Another +1
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

If you haven't already, be sure to figure a way to use an electric drill or motor to run the mill. I bought a Barley Crusher used with a hand crank, and it takes a long while to grind 10# of grain. I've since gotten a few good lessons on how to use the drill, and my little cordless drill makes short work of it.

Also, I wish I had a larger grain bin. Mine has a 7# capacity, which is okay for 5 gallon batches. I just kinda wish I had a large bin at this point...

Have fun!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
grico

Post by grico »

Sounds good guys. The more I did my personal research, i have decided that a 2 roller will do fine. I have heard a lot of good things about the prefixed. You guys seem to like it to, so I think I will go with that.

I plan to get a a old jucier base, and set up a pulley system to get the right RPMs. No need to do a hand crank. :D
Gallons Brewed 2011: 85
Gallons Brewed 2012: 165