Kegerator needs regulators

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

3rdto1st

Kegerator needs regulators

Post by 3rdto1st »

Hey all, so i grabbed a 7cu ft chest freezer and a ranco controller, and now my kegerator is going great. The only problem now is that i only have one regulator for my co2 tank. The fridge can fit 4 cornies, so this would be an issue. I'm wondering what people think is a good setup given that i will need to have different kegs at carbing and serving pressure at the same time. I am probably heading to Eric's in the next week, so if there is a solution there, feel free to chime in about that since i would love to support his shop.
Brewing soon: KtG
Primary :
Secondary: Sucaba clone (on oak soaked in EC12)
Kegs: Kate the just OK, English SMASH

Gals brewed '11: 50
Gals brewed '12: 50
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Kegerator needs regulators

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

It's not cheap, but the best solution is to use a bank of secondary regulators that are fed from your primary regulator.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbee ... dary.shtml

The cheaper solution is to use a CO2 manifold to split the single line into several lines.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Just use a CO2 manifold. No need to carb and serve at different pressures, unless you are in a hurry. If you do need to carb a keg fast you can shut off gas to the other kegs while you carb the one, and put it back to normal after.

Something like this. http://www.kegworks.com/4-way-co2-distr ... e=nextopia
Kevin
ocluke

Post by ocluke »

I use two regulators and two manifolds for my setup, which gives me two different pressures and a few combinations.

My keezer holds 5 corny kegs with the collar, so I have one 4-way manifold and one 2-way manifold. This allows me to keep up to 4 kegs at one "house" pressure, while still allowing me two for force carbonating or serving one or two beers that fall way outside the typical CO2 pressure style (e.g. fruit labic on the high end; British ale on the low end).

Four regulators will obviously give you the most flexibility, but it will cost you. You'll also need to find a place for all of those regulators in the keezer along with the kegs, beer line and gas line. Otherwise, you will have to drill 4 different holes through your collar for the lines.
Luke

MetaBrewing - A homebrewing blog documenting experiments with equipment, processes, recipes, hops, wild yeast, and whatever else happens to sneak its way in.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

OK ... here is the "overkill" situation. My kegerator has 4 regulators and 4 manifolds. You can see the regs here and the manifolds here.

I keep 3 separate pressures for serving and 1 for carbing. I have shut off valves on each individual CO2 line and one each for every manifold. For those interested, the kegerator is a 22 cu ft. and it will hold 12 cornies easily. I have the temp probe of the Ranco in a separate thermowell in about a gallon of water in the bottom of the freezer. The whole thing is on wheels (including the 20lb CO2 tank so I can roll it out for events.)

Dan
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

dhempy wrote:OK ... here is the "overkill" situation. My kegerator has 4 regulators and 4 manifolds. You can see the regs here and the manifolds here.

I keep 3 separate pressures for serving and 1 for carbing. I have shut off valves on each individual CO2 line and one each for every manifold. For those interested, the kegerator is a 22 cu ft. and it will hold 12 cornies easily. I have the temp probe of the Ranco in a separate thermowell in about a gallon of water in the bottom of the freezer. The whole thing is on wheels (including the 20lb CO2 tank so I can roll it out for events.)

Dan

Impressive! :happybeer:

Road trip!
;)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
ocluke

Post by ocluke »

dhempy wrote:You can see the regs here and the manifolds here.
Dan
That is a beauty. You better get to brewing...I only see 3 on tap!
Luke

MetaBrewing - A homebrewing blog documenting experiments with equipment, processes, recipes, hops, wild yeast, and whatever else happens to sneak its way in.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

For those who don't know, Dan's kegerator is also the image at the top of the forum pages.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

ocluke wrote:
That is a beauty. You better get to brewing...I only see 3 on tap!
Well those are way old pics ... but they actually reflect my current sorry state of not having brewed for a while ... soon to be remedied. Also, I now actually have a holder on top that holds a business card sized label for each tap .. it is magnetic and sits on top of the lid just behind the tap handles. No more masking tape. I generally just label the beer with the style as I typically don't bother with naming my brews.
lexuschris wrote: Impressive! :happybeer:
Road trip!
;)
--LexusChris
Yes ... I will probably sign up for the August Brewday ...

Dan
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Yes ... I will probably sign up for the August Brewday ...

Dan
I'll believe when I see it. Been hearing that for two years. :happybeer:
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

BrewMasterBrad wrote: I'll believe when I see it. Been hearing that for two years. :happybeer:
I suppose I deserved that ...

Dan
ocluke

Post by ocluke »

Dan, I noticed no foam on your collar, which seems to provide quite a bit of room for your manifolds. Do you have any problems with condensation or thermal insulation?
Luke

dhempy

Post by dhempy »

No .. it is 1" melamine that I had laid up to match the kegerator (a friend of mine has a cabinet shop) No issues at all with condensation and it doesn't seem to cycle too much at all. I think the key is keeping the Ranco Probe in a vessel of water in a thermowell. This simulates the liquid in a keg. Also because the volume is smaller, the Ranco vessel reacts quicker which minimizes the possibility of freezing.

The 1" (maybe it is 1 1/8") is very stout ... and a very good insulator. I've just got aluminum pegs (not glued) in the corners and the lid is mounted to the collar. It _NEVER_ moves. It is relatively heavy so the only thing I really worried about was side to side movement hence the aluminum pegs. It was a bitch to cut and drill the holes through though .. and I had to get relatively long shanks to fit the collar and the stainless drip trays. I made my own angle braces for the inside (again aluminum ... start with aluminum angle, punch and drill holes on the drill press) and put a bunch of 1" screws to hold it together ... no glue ... (it wouldn't have been useful with the melamine anyway) ...just silicone.Here is a picture during assembly.

But it is nice to have something that solid to mount to!

I also welded up some angle iron to form a tray underneath the kegerator ... and put wheels on it. It is _REALLY_ convenient to move around now. The only thing I had to redo is to make a spot in the iron to remove the drain plug (handy for cleaning!). Here is a picture mostly welded up.

Dan
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

Wow, that is an amazing set up you have there.
dhempy wrote:OK ... here is the "overkill" situation. My kegerator has 4 regulators and 4 manifolds. You can see the regs here and the manifolds here.

Dan