Burner needs

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

3rdto1st

Burner needs

Post by 3rdto1st »

So right now I am brewing on my apartment stove. It takes me 1.5hrs to get from room temp to mash temp. (dont ask about getting to boil, it makes me wanna cry) I desperately need a burner/solution for faster heat.

My girlfriend got me a gift cert with their burner/stand in mind. Brad also told me about his new Bayou Classic SQ14. I am wondering if i could get some input on everyones thoughts for good burners. I am willing to pay more up front for a burner that is quality and will last me a while. :D
Brewing soon: KtG
Primary :
Secondary: Sucaba clone (on oak soaked in EC12)
Kegs: Kate the just OK, English SMASH

Gals brewed '11: 50
Gals brewed '12: 50
lexuschris

Re: Burner needs

Post by lexuschris »

I ended up getting a Camp Chef single stove styled unit. It has legs to raise it up, but I find I prefer the boiling liquids lower to the ground. :) So, the legs are just sitting in the garage somewhere..

Really, if you are going to go with a propane tank, there are many, Many, & MANY burners out there.

The more BTU, the faster the boil should happen. Mine is rated at 60,000 BTU and heats a 6 gallons to boiling in about 20 minutes.

Some of them are quieter than others, and some have better flame control so you can keep a low flame going a nice boil.

From looking at those links above, it looks like for $50 - $100 you should be able to find a real nice burner! Good luck!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Oh, 1 other thing. The 1st burner I ordered was not a great fit for my brew pot. The hurricane burner I had ordered had a round ring to suppor the kettle, which was exactly 1/4" wider than the diameter of my pot. Thus, when you tried to place it atop the bruner, it wanted to tip to one side or another, even when empty!

So, I sent it back (before use) for a burner with a larger square frame atop it. Works great now!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I like the SQ14 enough that I've now got 3 of them. They're powerful enough to vigorously boil for 15 gallon batches (so 17+ gal of liquid). And the square frame is great -- it fits my keggles as well as my large brew pot.

The burner in this Bayou Classic turkey fryer kit, on the other hand, is not so good. It doesn't fit my pots very well (it's ok for my HLT, but only because it's perfectly sized by chance -- any other size HLT would suck), and it doesn't put out enough heat to boil 17+ gallons at all. It's not a bad burner, but also not one I'd recommend.
Brad
3rdto1st

Post by 3rdto1st »

Chris read my mind. My girlfriend got the B3 certificate with just that Camp Chef burner in mind. I have their 8gal kettle, and would like to have it off the ground. I dont want to spend more money on pumps and all to drain right to my carboy. I know there are a ton of options and maybe the Bayou Classic is good for when i upgrade, was just looking for some reviews. Hmmmm, time to do some thinking.
Primary :

SamIam

Post by SamIam »

bwarbiany wrote:I like the SQ14 enough that I've now got 3 of them. They're powerful enough to vigorously boil for 15 gallon batches (so 17+ gal of liquid). And the square frame is great -- it fits my keggles as well as my large brew pot.

The burner in this Bayou Classic turkey fryer kit, on the other hand, is not so good. It doesn't fit my pots very well (it's ok for my HLT, but only because it's perfectly sized by chance -- any other size HLT would suck), and it doesn't put out enough heat to boil 17+ gallons at all. It's not a bad burner, but also not one I'd recommend.
+1 on the SQ14, they have good flame control and the stand is nice and big. We used one for a while before I cut it up and used some of the pieces for our single tier stand.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"
~Frank Sinatra
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

I think Eric had a burner or two in his shop...worth talking to him about it
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I have what appears to be an SQ14 based on the pictures I've seen, but the frame is stainless instead of painted black. I don't really have any use for it now that I've switched over to natural gas. The burner itself is a bit rusty, but it still works great.

It was part of a turkey fryer kit that also came with a 32qt kettle that I'll also be getting rid of soon (once I can get my new kettles from Derrin). I was going to post this stuff in the Classifieds section once I had the new kettles, but the timing seemed good to post it here.
3rdto1st

Post by 3rdto1st »

Send me a pm when you get rid of that burner, I am quite highly interested, cause if not, still not sure what solution I am looking at.
Primary :