Keg Charger

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

grico

Keg Charger

Post by grico »

So I procrastinated, and now I have a keg of pumpkin ale and a 20lbs CO2 tank in the back of my mini cooper, ready for the journey to vegas for the holidays. I would really rather not bring the 20lbs tank with me. I keep seeing these keg chargers, and i believe its the same thing i carry on my bike. However i assume a presta valve filler wont fit on to a ball-lock post fitting.

My question is: Can i MacGyver this together at home depot? Anyone know of a brew shop in vegas worst case?

:cheers:

+10000000000 internets to the person that can help me.
Gallons Brewed 2011: 85
Gallons Brewed 2012: 165
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Keg Charger

Post by JonW »

You need a 1/4" FFL to screw onto a ball lock QD. Alternatively, maybe you can remove the presta valve fitting and attach a hose over the end, which could then be attached to a barbed QD.
grico

Post by grico »

Ya i was actually just going to post that. I have an old tube with a long presta in my garage. Thought if i just cut it off and attached a tube i would be good. Its a sanity check these though that get me back to the simple answer. :-) Thanks for the suggestion.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I have one of those keg chargers (I think Addison's has them) and they work well and I don't recall it costing too much. Jut remember: DON'T LEAVE IT ATTACHED FOR GUESTS TO USE.
jward

Post by jward »

And watch the little o-ring that seals against the flare fitting. It can get out of position and leak.
grico

Post by grico »

Ended up cutting out the presta valve of my old bike tube, heated up some 1/4" ID tube from home depot, and shoved the presta valve in there and secured it with a hose clamp. On the other side i just heated up the tubing again, and screwed it onto the keg post compression fitting. Took some muscle, but it went on fine, secured it with another hose clamp. Hit it with a 16g CO2 canister. Perfect pours the entire time. Needed 2 for dispensing just over 2.5 gallons.

Thanks for the help, and suggestions. :cheers: