Putting a system together

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

ScottK

Putting a system together

Post by ScottK »

I am hoping to pick up a new brew kettle this Christmas. Right now I'm split between the B3 Heavy Duty and the Blichmann Boilermaker. Based on what I've read on these boards and HBT, the B3 kettle seems like a better buy, considering the cost. Blichmann recommends a 20 gallon kettle for 10 gallon batches, while B3 recommends a 15 gallon kettle. I have a few questions:
1. Those of you who have experience with these kettles, which do you recommend?
2. Which is better for a 10 gallon batch, a 15 gallon or 20 gallon kettle?
3. Are 5 gallon batches still viable with either of these pots? Are there any drawbacks to brewing smaller batches in larger kettles?
4. I didn't see it, but does the B3 have a sight glass option?

I had been sold on the Boilermaker kettle for awhile, then I read some posts here about the Heavy Duty pots. I'm working with keggles now, but my preference is to use one of these kettles.
I have not yet begun to defile myself.
bwarbiany

Re: Putting a system together

Post by bwarbiany »

I've got a 20gal from B3 that looks much like the same design as the 15 and 26 gal versions, and I've used it for both 15-gallon and 10-gallon batches.

I think you'll be just fine doing 10-gallon batches in a 15-gallon kettle. I don't see any reason why you'd need to go up to 20.

A 5gal batch is definitely still viable. You might calculate a higher boil-off rate due to the larger surface area compared to most kettles used for 5-gal batches, but there's no reason why you can't do the 5-gal batch.
Brad
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I just recently did two 10 gallon Pliny batches and it couldn't have been done in a 15 gallon kettle. I needed space for 15 gallons pre-boil plus extra space for huge hop additions. While I don't always do volumes this big, many of my pre-boils are 13 gallons and having the extra head space is nice. My suggestion is to go with a 20 gallon kettle.

I can't comment on the B3 kettles as I've never used them. I know they're much thicker than my Blichmann kettles, but if you're not banging your kettles around, I don't see where the thickness gives it any benefit. I do really like the accessories on the Blichmanns, they are all well thought out.

There are others options also. Check out Stout kettles. Also talk to Derrin. He might have some leads for you.
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

I believe Derrin will be selling kettles soon
Also +1 on the larger kettle...
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I've used the older 15 B3 gallon kettles quite a bit ... they work great for 5 gallon batches ... but for 10 gallon, you have to be careful ... their actual volume was really about 14.5 so by the time you add extra for boil off and hop absorption, trub loss etc you ca be pretty close to the rim making boilover a definite possibility. I use one of those glass boil discs and that seems to lessen the boilover tendencies but you still have to be there with a spray bottle. FWIW.

Dan
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

DrDually wrote:I believe Derrin will be selling kettles soon
Also +1 on the larger kettle...
I have kettles in stock, 16G capacity, 304 SS. They are outfitted with tri clover ferrules. They were quite a long time in development and did not arrive as nice as expected. They are by no means bad, just not the quality and consistency I want for a high-end line of kettles and so they wont be going on the site as "Brewers Hardware" branded kettles.

The boil kettles have tangential inlets, the mash tuns have back to back ferrules for the return and all have 1.5" outlets. The mash tuns have false bottoms but they really jacked those up so I'm working on getting new ones made locally that will fit.

I haven't settled on pricing while I'm still decided how I plan on moving them.

Let me know if you want to come see them.
Derrin
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

16 G would be a great size for 10 gallon batches IMHO.

Dan
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I should also say they are 16" D x 20" tall (roughly) so they'll fit the foot print of a keg for a stand design.

EDIT: found an image of all 3 styles: